14,775 hectares brought under jute cultivation in Gaibandha
Published : 11 Jul 2016, 14:40
A total of 14,775 hectares of land of all the seven upazilas in the district were brought under jute cultivation during the current season with the production target of 1,61,931 bales of jute.
Of the total, some 1,225 hectares of land were cultivated in Sadar Upazila, 500 in Sadullapur Upazila, 210 in Palashbari Upazila, 1,200 in Gobindaganj Upazila, 4,365 in Sundarganj Upazila, 3,525 in Saghata Upazila and 3,750 in Fulchhari Upazila of the district, Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) office sources said.
To make the jute cultivation a success, the BADC sold high quality seed like O-9897, O-72 and JRO-524 among the farmers through their dealers and three sale centres , said Mazharul Islam, senior assistant director of the BADC.
Besides, the department of jute under the Ministry of Jute and Textile also distributed 7,840 kgs of high quality jute seed to 7,000 farmers in the district, said M. Majedul Islam, Sadar upazila jute development officer.
The DAE has also taken up necessary measures for growers' training, easy availability of fertilizers, pesticides and other agri inputs at fair prices to help the farmers for boosting production of the crop, said an official of DAE.
M. Momtaz Uddin Bepari, a farmer of Sreepur union of Sundarganj upazila, said the jute plants have grown well in the field.
Talking to BSS deputy director of DAE AKM Ruhul Amin said the farmers of the district farmed jute on their land this year amid much enthusiasm as they had got high price of jute last season.
- Most viewed
- PM defends Rampal Plant in interaction with Gore at WEF
- 39 jailed in India for trafficking 7 Bangladeshis, dozens of Indians
- 15 school children feared killed in road accident in India
- PM for utilising transboundary freshwater resources
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Journo Shahidul Huq's wife Shamsun Nahar passes away
- Shakira asks Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- PM urges partymen to overcome challenging days ahead
- PM arrives in Zurich to attend WEF meeting
- PM joins Biswa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 13 bodies found, scores of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 26 get death in seven-murder trial
- India boat accident toll rises to 26, more dead feared
- 6 killed, 15 injured in Comilla road accident
- Climate change shows in shrinking Antarctic snows
- 16 January Births