14,775 hectares brought under jute cultivation in Gaibandha
Published : 11 Jul 2016, 14:40
A total of 14,775 hectares of land of all the seven upazilas in the district were brought under jute cultivation during the current season with the production target of 1,61,931 bales of jute.
Of the total, some 1,225 hectares of land were cultivated in Sadar Upazila, 500 in Sadullapur Upazila, 210 in Palashbari Upazila, 1,200 in Gobindaganj Upazila, 4,365 in Sundarganj Upazila, 3,525 in Saghata Upazila and 3,750 in Fulchhari Upazila of the district, Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) office sources said.
To make the jute cultivation a success, the BADC sold high quality seed like O-9897, O-72 and JRO-524 among the farmers through their dealers and three sale centres , said Mazharul Islam, senior assistant director of the BADC.
Besides, the department of jute under the Ministry of Jute and Textile also distributed 7,840 kgs of high quality jute seed to 7,000 farmers in the district, said M. Majedul Islam, Sadar upazila jute development officer.
The DAE has also taken up necessary measures for growers' training, easy availability of fertilizers, pesticides and other agri inputs at fair prices to help the farmers for boosting production of the crop, said an official of DAE.
M. Momtaz Uddin Bepari, a farmer of Sreepur union of Sundarganj upazila, said the jute plants have grown well in the field.
Talking to BSS deputy director of DAE AKM Ruhul Amin said the farmers of the district farmed jute on their land this year amid much enthusiasm as they had got high price of jute last season.
- Most viewed
- People suffer for countrywide transport strike
- HC halts gas price hike for 6 months
- SpaceX to send two tourists around Moon in 2018
- Reasons of post-pregnancy weight gain
- Humans spark most US wildfires: study
- 8 Dead, 30 Injured After Bus Plunges Into Canal In Andhra Pradesh
- 5 JMB men given death penalty for killing Kunio Hoshi
- 28 February Deaths
- 28 February Births
- PM urges brands, buyers to help overhaul garment factories
- Modern multi-storied food warehouse ready for opening at Santahar
- Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
- President, PM pay tributes to Pilkhana martyrs
- Khadiza goes back home
- Sports village to be constructed at Padmar char: PM
- 82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
- JU VC honored as first woman VC to public university
- Medical student killed in Dhaka road accident