14,775 hectares brought under jute cultivation in Gaibandha
Published : 11 Jul 2016, 14:40
A total of 14,775 hectares of land of all the seven upazilas in the district were brought under jute cultivation during the current season with the production target of 1,61,931 bales of jute.
Of the total, some 1,225 hectares of land were cultivated in Sadar Upazila, 500 in Sadullapur Upazila, 210 in Palashbari Upazila, 1,200 in Gobindaganj Upazila, 4,365 in Sundarganj Upazila, 3,525 in Saghata Upazila and 3,750 in Fulchhari Upazila of the district, Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) office sources said.
To make the jute cultivation a success, the BADC sold high quality seed like O-9897, O-72 and JRO-524 among the farmers through their dealers and three sale centres , said Mazharul Islam, senior assistant director of the BADC.
Besides, the department of jute under the Ministry of Jute and Textile also distributed 7,840 kgs of high quality jute seed to 7,000 farmers in the district, said M. Majedul Islam, Sadar upazila jute development officer.
The DAE has also taken up necessary measures for growers' training, easy availability of fertilizers, pesticides and other agri inputs at fair prices to help the farmers for boosting production of the crop, said an official of DAE.
M. Momtaz Uddin Bepari, a farmer of Sreepur union of Sundarganj upazila, said the jute plants have grown well in the field.
Talking to BSS deputy director of DAE AKM Ruhul Amin said the farmers of the district farmed jute on their land this year amid much enthusiasm as they had got high price of jute last season.
- Most viewed
- PM releases stamp, first day cover on Int'l Customs Day
- 7 reasons you should use vegan products
- How to make someone fall in love with you: According to science
- Six reasons why you should wear sunglasses in the cold season
- Teenage girl found dead in Chittagong
- US women open year with 5-1 win over Denmark
- 22 January Deaths
- 22 January Births
- 22 January Events
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Do you check social media accounts of former partners? Beware, you may be micro-cheating
- You may be getting the portion sizes wrong