14,775 hectares brought under jute cultivation in Gaibandha
Published : 11 Jul 2016, 14:40
A total of 14,775 hectares of land of all the seven upazilas in the district were brought under jute cultivation during the current season with the production target of 1,61,931 bales of jute.
Of the total, some 1,225 hectares of land were cultivated in Sadar Upazila, 500 in Sadullapur Upazila, 210 in Palashbari Upazila, 1,200 in Gobindaganj Upazila, 4,365 in Sundarganj Upazila, 3,525 in Saghata Upazila and 3,750 in Fulchhari Upazila of the district, Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) office sources said.
To make the jute cultivation a success, the BADC sold high quality seed like O-9897, O-72 and JRO-524 among the farmers through their dealers and three sale centres , said Mazharul Islam, senior assistant director of the BADC.
Besides, the department of jute under the Ministry of Jute and Textile also distributed 7,840 kgs of high quality jute seed to 7,000 farmers in the district, said M. Majedul Islam, Sadar upazila jute development officer.
The DAE has also taken up necessary measures for growers' training, easy availability of fertilizers, pesticides and other agri inputs at fair prices to help the farmers for boosting production of the crop, said an official of DAE.
M. Momtaz Uddin Bepari, a farmer of Sreepur union of Sundarganj upazila, said the jute plants have grown well in the field.
Talking to BSS deputy director of DAE AKM Ruhul Amin said the farmers of the district farmed jute on their land this year amid much enthusiasm as they had got high price of jute last season.
- Most viewed
- Nusraat Faria goes bold on costume; sparks off protests on social media
- Melania Trump's pricey jacket draws attention in Sicily
- Raid at Savar ‘militant dens’: 7 grenades, 3 suicide vests found
- NASA’s Juno probe forces ‘rethink’ on Jupiter
- Nokia 9: Dual rear cameras leaked in new images, 8GB RAM, and more
- Oil prices rally after heavy sell-off
- Blast heard as cops resume operation at Savar ‘militant dens’
- Indian aid arrives as Sri Lanka monsoon toll hits 100
- Ramadan begins tomorrow
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Rumana Monzur graduates from law school
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- 19 killed in terror blast at UK pop concert
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia
- New Zealand space launch has nation reaching for the stars
- 21 May Deaths