RAB releases list of 261 persons missing from across Bangladesh
Published : 20 Jul 2016, 14:51
The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has released a list of 261 people missing from various parts of Bangladesh in recent times.
The government had been gathering information on youths reported missing for some time, as investigations revealed a trend of such youths joining militant groups.
The five gunmen who attacked an upscale cafe in Dhaka on July 1 and killed 20 hostages had been missing for several months, according to their families.
One of the Sholakia attackers, who was shot dead by police during the June 7 attack, had also been missing for the past four months.
Security agencies had recently revealed the names of 10 other missing youths.
Apart from that list, fresh information is still reaching the agencies about other missing youths.
The new list of 262 people was posted on RAB’s Online Media Cell’s Facebook page around Tuesday midnight.
One of them, however, has returned home very recently, said the elite force’s spokesperson Mufti Mahmud Khan.
“They (261) are missing. We are not calling them militants,” he told bdnews24.com.
“Please contact your nearest RAB battalion or camp if you can identify any of them,” the Facebook post read, while providing a phone number – 01777720050 – for direct contact.
It also sought information through the page -www.facebook.com/rabonlinemediacell/ - or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RAB Director Genral Benazir Ahmed on Monday also announced Tk 1 million reward for former militants who are willing to cooperate by providing information to law enforcers after returning to normal life.
"Their families will be provided security," he said.
Ahmed added, "A regular individual who provides information on militant activities will be rewarded Tk 500,000 and their identities will be kept confidential."
- Most viewed
- Hillary Clinton out of politics, star of GOP midterm plan
- ‘A Quiet Place’ rules US box office
- US envoy: Trump leads on N. Korea as G7 ministers meet
- PM returns home from London
- 23 April Events
- 23 April Deaths
- 23 April Births
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Husband kills wife for dowry