Hindu houses burnt in Dinajpur arson, police detain one
Published : 03 Dec 2016, 21:27
As many as 10 Hindu houses in Dinajpur have been set on fire.
Police have detained a person over the arson at Bochaganj Upazila early on Saturday.
The fire service said they were informed of the incident at a cleaners' colony around 3:45am.
Fire-fighters managed to put out the flames within an hour, said Bochaganj Fire Service's Station Minister Shamsul Alam.
He said that ten houses in the colony have been completely gutted.
One 'Jewel' has been detained over the incident.
"Jewel is a notorious criminal, who showed up with a sharp weapons and threatened the colony residents after the fire, but he was nabbed and handed to police," said local Councillor Jahangir Alam Liton.
One of the colony residents said Jewel had earlier threatened to evict them.
"He had also beaten up the colony residents at that time," said Sohal Baskar, whose home was damaged in Saturday's arson.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mahfuz Zaman said they have stepped up security measures following the incident.
- Most viewed
- Maria Sharapova's return divides rivals
- Speed up relief operation in haor areas: PM
- Speaker off to Australia to join CPA meeting
- Maximum 2yrs jail for selling banned, tainted fish
- Be summer ready for office
- 1,400 families marooned in Moulvibazar
- Cabinet Secy: PayPal to start soon
- Shraddha Kapoor gets fiercer with age in new stills from ‘Haseena’ biopic
- May on course for sweeping win: poll
- Mother, daughter at helm of global event
- Safety rules ignored in Cox's Bazar beach
- Dhaka-Thimphu to work in power, water resources & connectivity: Statement
- 'Ruppur nuclear power plant's construction set to begin in June'
- Bangladesh students are welcome in US
- PM returns home from Bhutan
- Bhutan to facilitate entry of Bangladeshi products
- Policewomen honoured for their contribution
- Mother, daughter hurt in Gaibandha acid attack