Hindu houses burnt in Dinajpur arson, police detain one
Published : 03 Dec 2016, 21:27
As many as 10 Hindu houses in Dinajpur have been set on fire.
Police have detained a person over the arson at Bochaganj Upazila early on Saturday.
The fire service said they were informed of the incident at a cleaners' colony around 3:45am.
Fire-fighters managed to put out the flames within an hour, said Bochaganj Fire Service's Station Minister Shamsul Alam.
He said that ten houses in the colony have been completely gutted.
One 'Jewel' has been detained over the incident.
"Jewel is a notorious criminal, who showed up with a sharp weapons and threatened the colony residents after the fire, but he was nabbed and handed to police," said local Councillor Jahangir Alam Liton.
One of the colony residents said Jewel had earlier threatened to evict them.
"He had also beaten up the colony residents at that time," said Sohal Baskar, whose home was damaged in Saturday's arson.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mahfuz Zaman said they have stepped up security measures following the incident.
- Most viewed
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- French Dressing
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- Change Maker: Seven stand strong
- New Zealand space launch has nation reaching for the stars
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia
- 5 suspected militants surrender to RAB
- 21 May Deaths
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani rape: Bodyguard, driver remanded
- Banani rape: Raintree hotel calls for justice
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani Rape Accused: Shafat's bodyguard, driver arrested
- Qabooli Biryani
- Hillary Clinton announces post-election plans
- Univ lecturer fired for ‘raping’ student
- Israel’s first female sharia judge sworn in