Hindu houses burnt in Dinajpur arson, police detain one
Published : 03 Dec 2016, 21:27
As many as 10 Hindu houses in Dinajpur have been set on fire.
Police have detained a person over the arson at Bochaganj Upazila early on Saturday.
The fire service said they were informed of the incident at a cleaners' colony around 3:45am.
Fire-fighters managed to put out the flames within an hour, said Bochaganj Fire Service's Station Minister Shamsul Alam.
He said that ten houses in the colony have been completely gutted.
One 'Jewel' has been detained over the incident.
"Jewel is a notorious criminal, who showed up with a sharp weapons and threatened the colony residents after the fire, but he was nabbed and handed to police," said local Councillor Jahangir Alam Liton.
One of the colony residents said Jewel had earlier threatened to evict them.
"He had also beaten up the colony residents at that time," said Sohal Baskar, whose home was damaged in Saturday's arson.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mahfuz Zaman said they have stepped up security measures following the incident.
- Most viewed
- How to have beautiful toned body
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- Priyanka at UN bats for girl empowerment
- Suu Kyi’s award suspended by UK union
- 4G service by December: Tarana
- Signal 3 to continue for maritime ports
- Schoolgirl foils forced marriage
- Mexico: Strong earthquake topples buildings, killing scores (Video)
- Women empowerment must to achieve SDGs: PM
- Friend’s kidney helps Selena Gomez fight lupus
- Priyanka meets Jordan's Queen Rania
- Public property plunderers must face legal actions: PM
- Trump assures PM of all supports on Rohingya issue
- Woman dies for ‘medical negligence’ after childbirth
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- Schoolgirl hacked in Savar, stalker held
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- 16 September Births