Hindu houses burnt in Dinajpur arson, police detain one
Published : 03 Dec 2016, 21:27
As many as 10 Hindu houses in Dinajpur have been set on fire.
Police have detained a person over the arson at Bochaganj Upazila early on Saturday.
The fire service said they were informed of the incident at a cleaners' colony around 3:45am.
Fire-fighters managed to put out the flames within an hour, said Bochaganj Fire Service's Station Minister Shamsul Alam.
He said that ten houses in the colony have been completely gutted.
One 'Jewel' has been detained over the incident.
"Jewel is a notorious criminal, who showed up with a sharp weapons and threatened the colony residents after the fire, but he was nabbed and handed to police," said local Councillor Jahangir Alam Liton.
One of the colony residents said Jewel had earlier threatened to evict them.
"He had also beaten up the colony residents at that time," said Sohal Baskar, whose home was damaged in Saturday's arson.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mahfuz Zaman said they have stepped up security measures following the incident.
- Most viewed
- PM defends Rampal Plant in interaction with Gore at WEF
- 39 jailed in India for trafficking 7 Bangladeshis, dozens of Indians
- 15 school children feared killed in road accident in India
- PM for utilising transboundary freshwater resources
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Journo Shahidul Huq's wife Shamsun Nahar passes away
- Shakira asks Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- PM urges partymen to overcome challenging days ahead
- PM arrives in Zurich to attend WEF meeting
- PM joins Biswa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 13 bodies found, scores of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 26 get death in seven-murder trial
- India boat accident toll rises to 26, more dead feared
- Climate change shows in shrinking Antarctic snows
- 6 killed, 15 injured in Comilla road accident
- 16 January Births