Hindu houses burnt in Dinajpur arson, police detain one
Published : 03 Dec 2016, 21:27
As many as 10 Hindu houses in Dinajpur have been set on fire.
Police have detained a person over the arson at Bochaganj Upazila early on Saturday.
The fire service said they were informed of the incident at a cleaners' colony around 3:45am.
Fire-fighters managed to put out the flames within an hour, said Bochaganj Fire Service's Station Minister Shamsul Alam.
He said that ten houses in the colony have been completely gutted.
One 'Jewel' has been detained over the incident.
"Jewel is a notorious criminal, who showed up with a sharp weapons and threatened the colony residents after the fire, but he was nabbed and handed to police," said local Councillor Jahangir Alam Liton.
One of the colony residents said Jewel had earlier threatened to evict them.
"He had also beaten up the colony residents at that time," said Sohal Baskar, whose home was damaged in Saturday's arson.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mahfuz Zaman said they have stepped up security measures following the incident.
- Most viewed
- 23 March Deaths
- 23 March Births
- 23 March Events
- 'Sex assault' streamed on Facebook Live
- Eurovision 2017: Ukraine bars Russian singer Samoilova from contest
- Police officer 'stabbed at UK Parliament'
- Girl born with four legs is separated from parasitic twin in Chicago surgery
- Merkel's conservatives extend lead in Germany's Forsa poll
- We have to move faster: PM
- 20 March Deaths
- MA, MSS, MBA, MSc and M Mug exams postponed
- Guys stop doing this!
- Indonesia summons UK envoy over coral reef destruction
- PM advises children to take lessons of patriotism from early life
- IS claims responsibility for Ashkona suicide blast
- Impulsive Facebook use cause brain imbalance
- 'Take vow to make developed Bangladesh'
- 22 March Births