'MP Liton's killers must be punished'
Published : 04 Jan 2017, 15:58
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today categorically said the killers of Awami League lawmaker from Gaibandha-1 constituency Manzurul Islam Liton must be given stringent punishment, asserting that her government won't tolerate the murder of public representatives in anyway.
"We never allow killing of such a public representative in anyway ... the trial of Liton's killers must be held on the soils of Bangladesh and they would be given stringent punishment," she said.
In this connection, the premier once again directed the law enforcement agencies to hunt down the killers of Liton, who was shot dead at his home in Sundarganj upazila in Gaibandha on Saturday. "Our aim is to ensure peace and security for all," she said.
The prime minister was talking to cross section of the people of eight districts of Rangpur division through videoconferencing from her official Ganabhaban residence here this noon.
Through the videoconferencing, the premier talked to administrative officials, teachers, imams, farmers, workers, rickshaw-pullers, journalists, social workers, local public representatives and members of the law enforcement agencies to involve them more in the government's development activities as well as its ongoing campaign against militancy and terrorism.
As many as 31 lakh people of 6299 places of eight districts of Rangpur division were connected with the videoconferencing.
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid, Information Minister Hasanul Haque Inu, Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and lawmakers of Rangpur division including HN Ashiqur Rahman, Tipu Munshi, Nurul Isalm Sujon, Ramesh Chandra Sen and Motahar Hossain were present at Ganabhaban.
Besides, Information Secretary Martuza Ahmed, Education Secretary Md Sohrab Hossain, PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim were present while PM's Principal Secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury moderated the videoconferencing.
Recalling anti-Jamaat-Shibir role of Liton in Sundarganj, the prime minister said he used to resist the anti-liberation forces and give security to the people in his locality.
"Liton was brutally killed due to her anti-Jamaat-Shibir role and we won't tolerate this murder in anyway," she said.
In this regard, Sheikh Hasina referred to mayhem and rampage unleashed by the Jamaat-Shibir in 2013 and 2014 as well as the first three months of 2015.
"We know well how the Jamaat-Shibir carried out mayhem and rampage in Sundarganj at that time by killing people and policemen, torching and vandalising houses, vehicles, shops and government offices," she said.
The premier said the people of the locality became victims of the torture and repression of Jamaat-Shibir and Liton put up a resistance against this.
Sheikh Hasina reiterated her call to the people of all strata to be vocal and wage a social movement against terrorism and militancy, saying that the twin demons never bring welfare.
'I would like to urge the people of all levels including guardians, teachers, students, imams to remain alert so that terrorism and militancy don't get any place in the country," she said.
Describing Islam as the religion of peace and harmony, the prime minister said there is no room for terrorism and militancy in it. "All will have to keep it in mind and wage a social movement against terrorism and militancy ... it has been proved that development becomes faster if peace is maintained," she said.
- Most viewed
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook data debacle
- People of Bangladesh can achieve anything
- Bangladesh set to celebrate LDC graduation eligibility
- 4 held over Garo woman, daughter murdered
- Gang-rape in microbus: Mastermind held in Manikganj
- PM honored at LDC graduation ceremony
- BD seeks UN support for its inclusive approach towards women dev
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry