'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:33
A case of dowry and physical harassment has been brought against cricketer Arafat Sunny.
A Dhaka metropolitan magistrate admitting the complaint issued summons for Sunny on Sunday.
The same woman, who identifies herself as his wife and had in the past charged him in a case under the ICT Act over posting her offensive photos on the social media, has now accused the cricketer of demanding a Tk 2 million dowry.
She has also accused him of beating her up to get the money quickly.
The woman's lawyer Md Kamal Uddin said the cricketer married his client on Dec 4, 2014 and have lived together in a rented apartment after the marriage.
They have also holidayed together abroad.
However, since the cricketer's family did not approve of the match, she was not accepted into his family, the lawyer added.
At one point, Sunny demanded a dowry of Tk 2 million.
He said if she would pay it up, she would be accepted into the family.
He even beat her up to extract his demand, the lawyer said.
Sunny's mother has also been implicated in the case. But the court initiated proceedings only against the cricketer, the lawyer said.
Police arrested Sunny on Sunday in connection with a Jan 5 case filed by the same woman under the ICT Act.
There she has accused him of using a fake Facebook account and sending her some of their intimate pictures in response to her reminders to accept her into his family.
The cricketer has been procrastinating taking the woman home since their marriage in 2014, she claims.
The cricketer's mother Nargis Akhter, however, claims the woman is trying to frame her son for greed of money.
The left-arm spinner debuted for Bangladesh team in 2014.
He was seen in action last during last year's T20 World Cup.
In November 2015, he played his last one-dayer against Zimbabwe.
- Most viewed
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook data debacle
- People of Bangladesh can achieve anything
- Bangladesh set to celebrate LDC graduation eligibility
- 4 held over Garo woman, daughter murdered
- Gang-rape in microbus: Mastermind held in Manikganj
- PM honored at LDC graduation ceremony
- BD seeks UN support for its inclusive approach towards women dev
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry