Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
Published : 25 Feb 2017, 15:02
Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB) and Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal (BSD) on Friday announced a half-day hartal in the capital for Tuesday protesting the fresh hike in gas prices.
“The CPB and BSD have called a hartal for February 28 (Tuesday) in the capital city of Dhaka from 6am to 12 noon protesting the anti-people decision of raising the gas prices,” said a statement issued by CPB.
However, the SSC examination centres and vehicles carrying the examinees will remain out of the purview of the shutdown.
CPB President Mujahidul Islam Selim, General Secretary Syed Abu Jafar Ahmed and BSD General Secretary Khalequzzaman in the joint statement also protested the gas price hike decision.
They said the government has illogically raised the gas prices to put on people the burden of anarchy created in the energy sector due to ongoing limitless plundering, corruption and the government’s wrong policy. “People in no way will accept the decision (of raising gas prices).”
The CPB and BSD leaders said they will force the government to back off from its ‘irrational’ decision by waging a mass movement against it.
They urged the city dwellers to make the hartal a success with their support.
On Thursday, Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) raised the gas prices for all consumers which will come into effect in two phases.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists