Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
Published : 25 Feb 2017, 15:02
Communist Party of Bangladesh (CPB) and Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal (BSD) on Friday announced a half-day hartal in the capital for Tuesday protesting the fresh hike in gas prices.
“The CPB and BSD have called a hartal for February 28 (Tuesday) in the capital city of Dhaka from 6am to 12 noon protesting the anti-people decision of raising the gas prices,” said a statement issued by CPB.
However, the SSC examination centres and vehicles carrying the examinees will remain out of the purview of the shutdown.
CPB President Mujahidul Islam Selim, General Secretary Syed Abu Jafar Ahmed and BSD General Secretary Khalequzzaman in the joint statement also protested the gas price hike decision.
They said the government has illogically raised the gas prices to put on people the burden of anarchy created in the energy sector due to ongoing limitless plundering, corruption and the government’s wrong policy. “People in no way will accept the decision (of raising gas prices).”
The CPB and BSD leaders said they will force the government to back off from its ‘irrational’ decision by waging a mass movement against it.
They urged the city dwellers to make the hartal a success with their support.
On Thursday, Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) raised the gas prices for all consumers which will come into effect in two phases.
- Most viewed
- Magical good luck plants and trees for home
- Use potato slices to treat puffy eyes
- Jatrabari school teacher held over ‘sexual harassment’
- PM visits Rajshahi tomorrow
- Microsoft introduces Bangla version ‘Kaizala’
- President, PM pay homage to language martyrs
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- 21 February Deaths
- 21 February Births
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife
- 'Suu Kyi could be guilty of crimes against humanity'