Joya Sengupta gets AL ticket for Sunamganj-2 by-poll
Published : 27 Feb 2017, 12:49
Bangladesh Awami League (AL) yesterday nominated Joya Sengupta, wife of veteran AL leader late Suranjit Sengupta, to contest the Sunamganj-2 (Dirai-Shalla) by-election slated for March 30.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Board held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, last night .
AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The meeting unanimously nominated Joya Sengupta for contesting the Sunamganj-2 by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
It also picked Anjum Sultana for contesting the mayoral post of Comilla City Corporation polls to be held on March 30.
Besides, the party extended support to Abdul Matin Bhuiyan in the Narsingdi District Council chairman by-election.
On February 20, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the election schedules for Sunamganj by-poll and Comilla City Corporation election.
As per the election schedule, the last date for nomination paper submission in the Sunamganj by-poll is on March 2 while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and last date of withdrawal nomination papers on March 13.
The seat of the Sunamganj-2 constituency fell vacant following the death of Suranjit Sengupta on February 5 last.
The deadline for nomination paper submission in the Comilla City Corporation polls has been fixed on March 2, while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and 6.
The last date for withdrawal of nomination papers is March 14.
- Most viewed
- Don’t fret over conceiving with irregular periods
- Don’t overdo stress or make-up on wedding day
- Female Sherpa from Nepal scales new heights
- Get the smear out before cervical cancer conquers you
- Indian court paves way for 'Padmaavat’ all-India release on 25 Jan
- Woman killed in city road crash
- PM escapes 17 assassination plots, attacks: Law minister
- 20 January Deaths
- 20 January Births
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46