Joya Sengupta gets AL ticket for Sunamganj-2 by-poll
Published : 27 Feb 2017, 12:49
Bangladesh Awami League (AL) yesterday nominated Joya Sengupta, wife of veteran AL leader late Suranjit Sengupta, to contest the Sunamganj-2 (Dirai-Shalla) by-election slated for March 30.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Board held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, last night .
AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The meeting unanimously nominated Joya Sengupta for contesting the Sunamganj-2 by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
It also picked Anjum Sultana for contesting the mayoral post of Comilla City Corporation polls to be held on March 30.
Besides, the party extended support to Abdul Matin Bhuiyan in the Narsingdi District Council chairman by-election.
On February 20, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the election schedules for Sunamganj by-poll and Comilla City Corporation election.
As per the election schedule, the last date for nomination paper submission in the Sunamganj by-poll is on March 2 while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and last date of withdrawal nomination papers on March 13.
The seat of the Sunamganj-2 constituency fell vacant following the death of Suranjit Sengupta on February 5 last.
The deadline for nomination paper submission in the Comilla City Corporation polls has been fixed on March 2, while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and 6.
The last date for withdrawal of nomination papers is March 14.
- Most viewed
- Nicotine vaping might not be as healthy was first thought
- The rise of the gourmet burger trend
- Celebrity chef brothers bring their signature cooking to the Mideast
- Action if mobile phone operators sell SIM cards to Rohingya refugees [...]
- Process for taking back some Rohingya refugees ‘anytime’: Suu Kyi
- World must join to stop Rohingya genocide: Shabana Azmi
- Couple Has Sex In Domino's Pizza, Then Justice Is Served (video)
- Kushtia BNP leader held for ‘rape attempt’
- PM rules out possibility of understanding with BNP
- ‘SDG Tracker’ & Publication on South South launched
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- PM calls for taking private sector on board for SDG financing
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- How to have beautiful toned body
- Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll
- Women empowerment must to achieve SDGs: PM
- Girl dies falling off easy bike