Joya Sengupta gets AL ticket for Sunamganj-2 by-poll
Published : 27 Feb 2017, 12:49
Bangladesh Awami League (AL) yesterday nominated Joya Sengupta, wife of veteran AL leader late Suranjit Sengupta, to contest the Sunamganj-2 (Dirai-Shalla) by-election slated for March 30.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Board held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, last night .
AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The meeting unanimously nominated Joya Sengupta for contesting the Sunamganj-2 by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
It also picked Anjum Sultana for contesting the mayoral post of Comilla City Corporation polls to be held on March 30.
Besides, the party extended support to Abdul Matin Bhuiyan in the Narsingdi District Council chairman by-election.
On February 20, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the election schedules for Sunamganj by-poll and Comilla City Corporation election.
As per the election schedule, the last date for nomination paper submission in the Sunamganj by-poll is on March 2 while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and last date of withdrawal nomination papers on March 13.
The seat of the Sunamganj-2 constituency fell vacant following the death of Suranjit Sengupta on February 5 last.
The deadline for nomination paper submission in the Comilla City Corporation polls has been fixed on March 2, while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and 6.
The last date for withdrawal of nomination papers is March 14.
- Most viewed
- ‘Half Girlfriend’ motion poster: It's complicated between Shraddha Kapoor and Arjun Kapoor
- WHO to continue help Bangladesh combat three major diseases
- Bangladesh improves quickly in socioeconomic index: Speaker
- Shreya Ghosal perform at ICCB
- Made in Bangladesh
- March 29 Deaths
- March 29 Births
- March 29 Events
- 3 bodies recovered in Bagerhat trawler capsize
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- Ex-husband of Arifa caught in Tangail
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Hawaii lawmaker resigns from Republican Party
- Schoolgirls deployed to collect toll for event
- Bangladesh female hockey champs epitomize Special Olympics ideal
- IS claims responsibility for Sylhet blasts