Joya Sengupta gets AL ticket for Sunamganj-2 by-poll
Published : 27 Feb 2017, 12:49
Bangladesh Awami League (AL) yesterday nominated Joya Sengupta, wife of veteran AL leader late Suranjit Sengupta, to contest the Sunamganj-2 (Dirai-Shalla) by-election slated for March 30.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Board held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, last night .
AL Parliamentary Board and Local Government Election Nomination Chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The meeting unanimously nominated Joya Sengupta for contesting the Sunamganj-2 by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
It also picked Anjum Sultana for contesting the mayoral post of Comilla City Corporation polls to be held on March 30.
Besides, the party extended support to Abdul Matin Bhuiyan in the Narsingdi District Council chairman by-election.
On February 20, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda announced the election schedules for Sunamganj by-poll and Comilla City Corporation election.
As per the election schedule, the last date for nomination paper submission in the Sunamganj by-poll is on March 2 while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and last date of withdrawal nomination papers on March 13.
The seat of the Sunamganj-2 constituency fell vacant following the death of Suranjit Sengupta on February 5 last.
The deadline for nomination paper submission in the Comilla City Corporation polls has been fixed on March 2, while nomination papers will be scrutinized on March 5 and 6.
The last date for withdrawal of nomination papers is March 14.
- Most viewed
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- Sheikh Hasina leaves for Australia today on three-day visit
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Mother, daughter killed in Moulvibazar fire
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- PM returns home from London
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge