Voting ends peacefully in 14 upazilas
Published : 07 Mar 2017, 00:37
Voting in 14 Upazila Parishad elections ended at 4 pm today amid tight security without any untoward incident.
The voters of the upazilas started casting their votes this morning to elect chairmen and vice-chairmen and some vacant posts of their respective upazila parishads.
The voting under the new Election Commission (EC) began at 8am and continued till 4 pm without any break.
Among the 14 upazilas in 12 districts, fresh elections were held in Osmaninagar of Sylhet, Guimara of Khagrachhari and Jagannathpur of Sunamganj to elect the chairmen and vice-chairmen posts. People in the remaining 11 upazila parishads cast their votes to fill some vacant posts while voters in four municipalities in four districts cast their votes in by-polls for electing either mayor or councillor posts.
By-election for chairman post were held at Kurigram Sadar, Sujanagar in Pabna, Banaripara and Gournadi in Barisal, Kathalia in Jhalakathi, Rangabali in Patuakhali, Adarsh Nagar in Comilla, Boraigram in Natore and Hoshenpur in Kishoreganj.
By-polls for vice-chairman post were held in Chauddagram in Comilla, Jaldhaka in Nilphamari, Kalaroa in Satkhira and Morelganj in Bagerhat while female vice chairman post held at Ishwardi in Pabna and Comilla Sadar South Upazila.
The candidates from major parties including Awami League, Jatiya Party and Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) are contesting in the polls.
- Most viewed
- Fettuccine Paneer Alfredo
- PM expects Bangladesh to produce swimming talents
- Moulvibazar school students, guardians protest 'sexual harassment' by headmaster
- Banani rape: Nayem Ashraf confessing at court
- Crying toddler found drinking milk from dead mother (Heartbreaking video)
- Kidman wants more films by women
- Theresa May to press Trump over bomb photo leaks
- 50 RMG employee fall sick for hot weather
- PM greets Tigers on their victory against Kiwis
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Blackberry working on anti-hack tool
- 19 killed in terror blast at UK pop concert
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia