Voting ends peacefully in 14 upazilas
Published : 07 Mar 2017, 00:37
Voting in 14 Upazila Parishad elections ended at 4 pm today amid tight security without any untoward incident.
The voters of the upazilas started casting their votes this morning to elect chairmen and vice-chairmen and some vacant posts of their respective upazila parishads.
The voting under the new Election Commission (EC) began at 8am and continued till 4 pm without any break.
Among the 14 upazilas in 12 districts, fresh elections were held in Osmaninagar of Sylhet, Guimara of Khagrachhari and Jagannathpur of Sunamganj to elect the chairmen and vice-chairmen posts. People in the remaining 11 upazila parishads cast their votes to fill some vacant posts while voters in four municipalities in four districts cast their votes in by-polls for electing either mayor or councillor posts.
By-election for chairman post were held at Kurigram Sadar, Sujanagar in Pabna, Banaripara and Gournadi in Barisal, Kathalia in Jhalakathi, Rangabali in Patuakhali, Adarsh Nagar in Comilla, Boraigram in Natore and Hoshenpur in Kishoreganj.
By-polls for vice-chairman post were held in Chauddagram in Comilla, Jaldhaka in Nilphamari, Kalaroa in Satkhira and Morelganj in Bagerhat while female vice chairman post held at Ishwardi in Pabna and Comilla Sadar South Upazila.
The candidates from major parties including Awami League, Jatiya Party and Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) are contesting in the polls.
- Most viewed
- Malala wins place at Oxford University
- 10-year-old rape victim gives birth in India
- South Asia flood death toll climbs to 250
- Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament
- Easy ways to stop sneezing
- Emma tops list of best paid actresses
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- PM to visit Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday to see flood victims
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- Australian Army bans male recruits to get female numbers up
- Amazing Health Benefits Of Miswak
- Roads to avoid on Aug 15
- Baul singer ‘gang-raped’ in Ashulia
- Taylor Swift assault case: Judge throws out DJ's lawsuit
- Hiding The Propaganda
- PM critical of those denying Bangabandhu's contribution
- 13 August Births
- 13 August Deaths