14-party to observe 'Genocide Day' on March 25
Published : 13 Mar 2017, 14:35
The 14-party alliance will observe March 25 as "Genocide Day" across the country in remembrance of the brutality carried out by Pakistani Army on the unarmed Bengalis on that black night in 1971.
"We will observe Genocide Day on March 25 at all districts and upazila levels," 14-party spokesman and Awami League presidium member Mohammed Nasim told a press conference after a meeting of the alliance at the AL president's political office yesterday.
The Jatiya Sangsad yesterday unanimously adopted a resolution to observe March 25 as the "Gonohotya Dibos" (Genocide Day).
Nasim, also minister for health and family welfare, said Pakistani occupied forces along with their Bangladeshi collaborators (rajakars) including Al Badr and Al Shams swooped on unarmed Bangalees and launched atrocities and holocaust during the nine-month Liberation War.
"The Pakistani collaborators are still now hatching conspiracy against the state. They are also trying to create controversies on the total figure of the Liberation War martyrs," he added.
"Pakistan is yet to realize their misdeeds of 1971. That's why they want to ignore the "Genocide" through their 'shameless' writings," he said.
Nasim urged the Foreign Ministry to take up necessary steps to realize international recognition to this end.
Awami League joint general secretary Jahangir Kabir Nanak, organizing secretaries Ahmed Hossain and AFM Bahauddin Nasim, office secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap, Jatiya Party (JP) secretary general Sheikh Shahidul Islam, Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal general secretary Shirin Akhtar, Communist Kendro convener Dr Wazedul Islam Khan, Gonotantri Party general secretary Dr Shahdat Hossain, Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal convener Md Rezaur Rashid Khan and Gono-Azadi League general secretary Muhammad Ataullah Khan, among others, were present at the press conference.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists