Farmers happy over smooth formation of tender litchi
Published : 13 Mar 2017, 15:06
The farmers are now happy over smooth formation of tender litchi amid favorable climatic condition with a hope to get bumper production of the tasty, juiciest and fleshy fruit this season in Rangpur division.
Talking to BSS, officials and experts in the Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) predicted bumper production of the fruit following excellent flowering this time in the litchi trees.
According to the Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) sources, over 92 percent of litchi trees in around 9,300 small, medium and big-sized litchi orchards and homesteads have bloomed massively this season in the division.
Horticulture Specialist of the DAE Khondker Md Mesbahul Islam said that commercial litchi cultivation had already become popular bringing self-reliance to thousands of farmers through farming the fruit in recent years.
"The farmers have been mostly cultivating high yielding varieties like China-3, 'Bedana', Bombay, 'Mozaffarpuri' and Madrazi and late variety 'Kanthali' litchi following repeated bumper production and lucrative price every year," he mentioned.
The Horticulturist suggested farmers for spraying 80 percent Sulphur on litchi tress if mite attack was found following rise in temperature during fruit formation stage after budding from mid-March for getting excellent production.
"The farmers can also spray 'Mentozeb' or 'Propikonazole' as per recommended dose to prevent powdery nose mildew or anthrax those might attack young leaves or blooming flower twigs or buds following rise in temperature amid cloudy sky," Mesbahul added.
Talking to BSS, litchi growers Atiar Rahman, Aiyub Ali, Mozahar Hossain and Mohammad Ali of Sadar and Badarganj upazilas here said they were expecting bumper litchi yield with better profits this time like in the previous seasons.
Farmers Abul Kalam Azad, Musfikur Rahman, Mokbular Rahman and Mahmudur Rahman of Hakimpur and Birganj upazilas in Dinajpur expressed happiness over smooth litchi formation after excellent flowering to get bumper production this season.
Agriculture and Environment Coordinator of RDRS Bangladesh Mamunur Rashid predicted bumper litchi production following superb flowering and smooth formation of tender litchi at this stage amid favourable climatic condition so far. Regional Additional Director of the DAE Md Shah Alam said that commercial litchi farming had been expanding fast bringing fortune to thousands of farmers following repeated bumper production with excellent market price in recent times.
He expressed satisfaction over excellent budding in the litchi trees and predicted bumper production of the high-priced fruit if the climatic condition remains favourable in the division till June next this season.
- Most viewed
- Stress just as unhealthy as junk food
- HC for probe into child’s birth, death on hospital compound
- Canada’s Quebec province to ban face coverings in public sector
- Brad Pitt eyeing Angelina Jolie’s lookalike
- Students from Dhaka win study trip to Australian Univ
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Momen urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises
- Woman holds world record for sleeping with 919 men in one day
- Safa takes a break from TV series
- Hormone therapy ‘safe’ for women with migraine?
- 18 October Events
- Samsung Electronics CEO resigns
- Staying in shape may make you live longer
- Rivals accused in cases over attack on Sajeda’s motorcade
- 18 October Births
- Oscars board expels producer Harvey Weinstein from Academy amid sexual assault allegations
- Jennifer Aniston donates $1 mn to charity