PM greets Tigers on historic Test win against Sri Lanka
Published : 19 Mar 2017, 23:02
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today extended her heartiest congratulations to Bangladesh cricket team for their historic victory in their centenary Test against Sri Lanka.
Bangladesh celebrated their 100th Test match in style with a maiden victory over Sri Lanka beating Islanders by four wickets on the 5th and final day of the 2nd match of the two-match Joy Bangla Cup Test Series at P Sara Oval in Colombo today.
In a congratulatory message, Sheikh Hasina greeted all the players, coach and officials of the national team as well as Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials concerned for defeating Sri Lanka in the second Test.
"The whole nation is proud of seeing the team spirit of our players and their tremendous performance," PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim quoted the premier as saying.
She added that the historic success is the outcome of proper patronage and support to the game by the present government. In this connection, the prime minister mentioned that Bangladesh earned the long-cherished Test status and one-day status during the 1996-2001 Awami League government.
The premier expressed the hope that the winning spree of the Bangladesh cricket team would continue in future.
A magnificent knock of 82 under pressure from Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal and the third wicket stand with Sabbir Rahman of 109 enabled Tigers to beat Sri Lanka for the first time in Test cricket. Bangladesh recorded their ninth win in 100 Tests by this victory.
- Most viewed
- Vegetable egg ‘bhurji’
- More pregnant women are having heart attacks
- Be a host to provide Non-Alcoholic summer drinks
- Girl gang raped in Narayanganj
- Work for people, Prime Minister to officials
- HC orders Cumilla court to dispose of Khaleda’s bail plea by July 26
- Shooter dead after killing one woman and injuring 13 others in Canada
- 9 people shot in Canada, shooter dead: police
- 23 July Events
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- Russian woman charged with spying in US
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters