'Mastermind' of murder of Dinajpur pir, disciple arrested: RAB
Published : 20 Mar 2017, 16:18
Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has detained the 'mastermind' of murder of a religious group leader and his female disciple from the frontiner area of Bhuringamari in Kurigram district.
The RAB-13 claimed this at a press briefing at its office in Rangpur on Monday.
On 13 March, a pir (religious group leader), Farhad Hossain Chowdhury, 60, and one of his female disciples, Rupali Begum, 18, were killed in his own Khanqah (shrine) in Doula village in Dinajpur.
The RAB also claimed that Md. Shafiqul Islam aka Babu, 28, was the mastermind of the murder plot.
RAB-13 commander ATM Atiqullah said another pir from Kurigram, Ishak Ali, instigated Shafiqul Islam, who has already been detained, to kill the Dinajpur pir, Farhad Hossain and his disciple.
On 15 March, the police detained three people from Kurigram and Dinajpur districts in connection with the double murder.
Atiqullah said two of the detainees have already recorded their statements that revealed that pir Ishak was behind the double murder.
The RAB is now carrying out a 'shadow investigation' along with the police, into the murder incident, the RAB commander added.
Also, Dinajpur police superintendent Md Hamidul Alam confimed that the double murder was the sequel to a conflict between the two religious group leaders.
Pir Ishak and disciple of slain pir Saidur are the masterminds of the murders, according to the police superintendent.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Couple whipped for getting 'too close' before wedding
- Big budget movies in Dhallywood soon
- 2 women found dead in Keraniganj
- Pope speaks out on violence against women
- CHT people to enjoy land ownership: PM
- 21 January Deaths
- 21 January Births
- 21 January Events
- Don’t fret over conceiving with irregular periods
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Minor girl found hanging from tree in Chuadanga