IPU urges global action to face famine, drought in Africa, Yemen
Published : 05 Apr 2017, 18:14
The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) yesterday adopted a resolution urging international action to save millions of people from famine and drought in Africa and Yemen.
The resolution however, expressed concern about the slow response of the global community in addressing the humanitarian situation in the nations affected by famine and drought, in terms of mobilizing resources to offer relief and other forms of assistance to the affected populations and nations.
It reaffirmed the IPU's commitment to put pressure on their respective governments to fund humanitarian relief operations to avert these crises. The resolution adopted at the fourth day of the 5-day 136th IPU assembly began in Dhaka on Saturday.
According to the resolution, the IPU member states acknowledged that failed rains and changing weather phenomena largely caused by global warming have contributed to the drought in East Africa and the Horn of Africa.
The IPU urged the UN and the international community to remain focused on those most vulnerable to the current drought and famine conditions, especially women, children and the elderly and developing comprehensive national resilience mechanism, including by addressing the root cause of famine and drought.
In particular, it also urged the governments to take appropriate and immediate actions to end conflict and hostilities and remove anything that hinders humanitarian access in parts of Africa and Yemen.
The famine and drought situation in Africa and Yemen was discussed in the 136th Assembly of IPU as an emergency item as people in those states have been facing the famine and drought for the third consecutive years.
The impact is devastating, causing thirst and hunger, decimating livestock, destroying livelihoods, spreading disease and triggering large-scale population movements.
- Most viewed
- 'I was raped at 16 and I kept silent'
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- 26 September Events
- 26 September Deaths
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Female RMG worker loses leg in Savar road crash