Mahfuza Akhter of Bangladesh wins seat for Asian women on FIFA Council
Published : 09 May 2017, 11:01
Mahfuza Akhter of Bangladesh has beaten Australian rival Moya Dodd for a seat on the FIFA Council reserved for an Asian woman.
Just before the Asian Football Confederation vote Monday, Palestinian and North Korean candidates withdrew.
Akhter, a member of the AFC executive committee, has a term through 2019 on the FIFA Council after beating Dodd 27-17. Dodd served on FIFA’s ruling body from 2013-16.
Three men who were seeking three other Asian seats on the FIFA Council were confirmed by acclamation: Zhang Jian of China, Mariano Varaneta of Philippines and Chung Mong-gyu of South Korea.
Asian Olympic head Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah withdrew and lost his seat after being accused of bribery by American authorities. The Kuwaiti sheikh denies any wrongdoing.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life