Saudi King invites PM to Arabic Islamic American Historical Summit
Published : 10 May 2017, 15:40
Saudi King and Custodian of two Holy Mosques Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has invited Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to attend the Arabic Islamic American Historical Summit.
The summit will be held in the Saudi capital of Riyadh on May 21.
The visiting Saudi Minister for Culture and Information Dr Awad Bin-Saleh Al-Awad handed over the invitation letter to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her official Ganabhaban residence here lastnight.
Briefing reporters after the meeting, PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim said US President Donald Trump and other heads of state and government from different parts of the world will join the summit.
The press secretary said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to attend the summit.
He said at the meeting, the Saudi minister hoped that the Bangladesh prime minister would attend the summit.
While talking about the issue of terrorism, Sheikh Hasina said only Bangladesh is not facing such a menace, it's now a worldwide problem.
In this connection, the prime minister reaffirmed her government's "zero tolerance policy" against terrorism and said the government is also spearheading a campaign against the social vice by involving the cross section of people.
"We are getting huge response from the people and they are cooperating us," she said.
She said the supply of money and arms will have to be stopped at any cost to stamp out terrorism.
Sheikh Hasina said Islam is being defamed across the world due to wrongdoing of some people.
The Saudi minister said about nine lakh people were killed in Iraq and six lakh people were killed in Syria in the last few years due to the violence, while the number of the displaced people in the region is nearly 12 million.
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, Senior PMO Secretary Suraiya Begum, PM's Military Secretary Major General Mia Mohammad Joynul Abedin and Saudi Ambassador in Dhaka Abdullah H. M. Al-Mutairi were present on the occasion.
- Most viewed
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Rab cordons off 2 ‘militant dens’ in C’nawabganj
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Macher Paturi
- Shabana Azmi plays a mom in The Black Prince, a biopic on Punjab’s last king
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif