Banani rape: Bodyguard, driver remanded
Published : 16 May 2017, 16:20
The bodyguard and driver of Ahmed Shafat, prime accused in the Banani double rape, have been remanded in connection with the case filed over the rape.
Shafat’s driver Billal and his bodyguard Rahmat, who said to have assisted the rape at Raintree hotel in Dhaka's Banani on March 28, were arrested last night and produced before a court in Dhaka today.
Investigation Officer of the case Israt Jahan Amy, inspector of victim support centre, sought the duo in 10-days of remand for quizzing over the rape incident.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Loshkar Sohel Rana granted police to take bodyguard Rahman for four days and driver Billal three days in remand for questioning.
Four people, including Ahmed Shafat – son of the owner of Apan Jewellers – have been arrested. Shafat and his friend are now in remand. Cops say they have found evidence of rape from their primary testimonial.
The other accused Nayem Ashraf alias Halim is still on the run.
- Most viewed
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- German journalist says Turkey court lifts travel ban
- PM receives two UNICEF awards for campaign against early marriage
- Multi-storey buildings to replace city slums: Prime Minister
- 20 August Events
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0