Banani rape: Bodyguard, driver remanded
Published : 16 May 2017, 16:20
The bodyguard and driver of Ahmed Shafat, prime accused in the Banani double rape, have been remanded in connection with the case filed over the rape.
Shafat’s driver Billal and his bodyguard Rahmat, who said to have assisted the rape at Raintree hotel in Dhaka's Banani on March 28, were arrested last night and produced before a court in Dhaka today.
Investigation Officer of the case Israt Jahan Amy, inspector of victim support centre, sought the duo in 10-days of remand for quizzing over the rape incident.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Loshkar Sohel Rana granted police to take bodyguard Rahman for four days and driver Billal three days in remand for questioning.
Four people, including Ahmed Shafat – son of the owner of Apan Jewellers – have been arrested. Shafat and his friend are now in remand. Cops say they have found evidence of rape from their primary testimonial.
The other accused Nayem Ashraf alias Halim is still on the run.
- Most viewed
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern may be first leader to give birth while in office
- Magura teenage girl ‘kills self’ for smartphone
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Must-take fitness resolutions for the Year 2018
- Deepika becomes a cop for a commercial
- Dhaka wants peaceful solution to Rohingya crisis: Sheikh Hasina
- 'Govt will move ahead evaluating past'
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Tarana for women’s equal participation in filmmaking
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US