Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
Published : 18 May 2017, 18:21
Latest arrestee of the much talked-about Banani double rape case, Nayem Ashraf has been sent to serve a seven-day remand for quizzing in police custody.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate SM Masud Zaman passed the order after investigation officer Ismat Ara Ame produced Nayem and moved a remand plea of 10 days.
Arrested last night from Munshiganj’s Lohajang, Nayem Ashraf alias Halim has primarily confessed his involvement during primary questioning in detective custody.
Earlier today, Monirul Islam, deputy inspector general of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, said police found certainty of the rape allegation brought to fore by two university girls.
The girls had alleged that the incident took place at The Raintree hotel, an upscale hotel in the capital’s posh Banani area, on March 28. They surfaced with the allegation much later.
So far, police have said they have found the allegation to be true.
Meanwhile, four other arrestees in the case, Ahmed Shafat, his associate Shadman Sakif, his bodyguard Rahmat and driver Billal have already been remanded.
Among them, Shafat confessed his involvement in the act before a magistrate today.
- Most viewed
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- No need to react to marriage rumours
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Omarosa’s White House recordings fuel Trump woes
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women