Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
Published : 18 May 2017, 18:21
Latest arrestee of the much talked-about Banani double rape case, Nayem Ashraf has been sent to serve a seven-day remand for quizzing in police custody.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate SM Masud Zaman passed the order after investigation officer Ismat Ara Ame produced Nayem and moved a remand plea of 10 days.
Arrested last night from Munshiganj’s Lohajang, Nayem Ashraf alias Halim has primarily confessed his involvement during primary questioning in detective custody.
Earlier today, Monirul Islam, deputy inspector general of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, said police found certainty of the rape allegation brought to fore by two university girls.
The girls had alleged that the incident took place at The Raintree hotel, an upscale hotel in the capital’s posh Banani area, on March 28. They surfaced with the allegation much later.
So far, police have said they have found the allegation to be true.
Meanwhile, four other arrestees in the case, Ahmed Shafat, his associate Shadman Sakif, his bodyguard Rahmat and driver Billal have already been remanded.
Among them, Shafat confessed his involvement in the act before a magistrate today.
- Most viewed
- Recipe: Smoky, saucy, cheesy pasta
- Red Cross: 21 resigned or fired since 2015 in sex cases
- Khaleda’s bail in graft case extended until Monday
- Quality, time-befitting education a must: PM
- Hearing on Khaleda’s bail plea today
- 9th anniversary of Pilkhana carnage being observed
- 25 February Deaths
- 25 February Births
- 25 February Events
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Trump blasts Oprah
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Keep every child alive, says Unicef
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- Election in due time no matter who joins it: PM
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs