Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
Published : 18 May 2017, 18:21
Latest arrestee of the much talked-about Banani double rape case, Nayem Ashraf has been sent to serve a seven-day remand for quizzing in police custody.
Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate SM Masud Zaman passed the order after investigation officer Ismat Ara Ame produced Nayem and moved a remand plea of 10 days.
Arrested last night from Munshiganj’s Lohajang, Nayem Ashraf alias Halim has primarily confessed his involvement during primary questioning in detective custody.
Earlier today, Monirul Islam, deputy inspector general of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, said police found certainty of the rape allegation brought to fore by two university girls.
The girls had alleged that the incident took place at The Raintree hotel, an upscale hotel in the capital’s posh Banani area, on March 28. They surfaced with the allegation much later.
So far, police have said they have found the allegation to be true.
Meanwhile, four other arrestees in the case, Ahmed Shafat, his associate Shadman Sakif, his bodyguard Rahmat and driver Billal have already been remanded.
Among them, Shafat confessed his involvement in the act before a magistrate today.
- Most viewed
- 'Hotel Transylvania' books spot at top of box office
- Khaleda denied bail in Narail defamation case
- Russian woman charged with spying in US
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums