19 girls return home after jail terms in India
Published : 18 May 2017, 18:23
Nineteen teenaged Bangladeshi girls were returned home from India through the Benapole check-post on Wednesday night, after languishing in jail there for two years.
Petrapole Immigration Police on the Indian side handed them over to Bangladesh authorities through Benapole check-post around 6:30 pm.
The returnees are-Kakoli Khatun, Sima Begum, Shampa Khatun, Swapna Akter, Doly Akter, Bina Khatun, Mira Begum, Rupali Khatun, Hosne Ara, Shahinur Begum, Sharmin Akter, Aklima Begum, Aduri Khatun, Manira Khatun, Hazera Khatun, Shapla Begum, Hazera Akter, Rekha and Kulsum.
They hailed from different parts of Khulna, Narsingdi, Comilla, Jamalpur, Jessore, Pirojpur, Bagerhat, Brahmanbaria, Rangpur, Narail, Chandpur and Madaripur districts.
Omar Sharif, officer in-charge of Benapole check-post immigration, said human traffickers sent them to the neighbouring country at different times alluring them with offers of good jobs there.
But Indian police arrested them from different areas of Mumbai on charges of trespassing, and produced before a court which sent them to jail.
On completion of their jail terms, they were handed over to an Indian NGO, the Rescue Foundation, which worked with the home ministries of both countries to arrange their repatriation.
- Most viewed
- Eat right and stay youthful
- Feeling bad without your phone?
- Papaya: Top five health and beauty benefits
- Modelling groomed me for acting: Kriti Sanon
- The mystical scent of a woman
- Beware of processed food!
- Narayanganj 7-murder cases: High Court upholds death penalty for 15
- Indian court rules against instant divorce
- Weekend delight: Unwind with Minty Mushroom Croquettes
- Priyanka Chopra told ‘not to return India’
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- Prospect of progress must not be ruined: PM
- Primary school teacher ‘gang raped’ in classroom
- South Asia flood death toll climbs to 250
- 2 schoolgirls 'gang-raped'
- Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament