19 girls return home after jail terms in India
Published : 18 May 2017, 18:23
Nineteen teenaged Bangladeshi girls were returned home from India through the Benapole check-post on Wednesday night, after languishing in jail there for two years.
Petrapole Immigration Police on the Indian side handed them over to Bangladesh authorities through Benapole check-post around 6:30 pm.
The returnees are-Kakoli Khatun, Sima Begum, Shampa Khatun, Swapna Akter, Doly Akter, Bina Khatun, Mira Begum, Rupali Khatun, Hosne Ara, Shahinur Begum, Sharmin Akter, Aklima Begum, Aduri Khatun, Manira Khatun, Hazera Khatun, Shapla Begum, Hazera Akter, Rekha and Kulsum.
They hailed from different parts of Khulna, Narsingdi, Comilla, Jamalpur, Jessore, Pirojpur, Bagerhat, Brahmanbaria, Rangpur, Narail, Chandpur and Madaripur districts.
Omar Sharif, officer in-charge of Benapole check-post immigration, said human traffickers sent them to the neighbouring country at different times alluring them with offers of good jobs there.
But Indian police arrested them from different areas of Mumbai on charges of trespassing, and produced before a court which sent them to jail.
On completion of their jail terms, they were handed over to an Indian NGO, the Rescue Foundation, which worked with the home ministries of both countries to arrange their repatriation.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life