Gulshan café attack accused among 4 ‘militants’ held in Chapainawabganj
Published : 08 Jul 2017, 16:04
Four suspected members of banned militant outfit “Neo-JMB”, including an accused in a case filed in connection with Gulshan café attack, were arrested in Shibganj upazila of Chapainawabganj early today.
A team of law enforcers from Dhaka with the help of local police arrested the accused, Shohel Mahfuz, and three others at Ambagan in the upazila around 3:00am, said TM Mojahidul Islam, superintendant of Chapainawabganj police.
Shohel Mahfuz has been taken to the capital, the SP said.
The names and other details about the three other accused were not known immediately.
Chapainawabganj police will brief journalists about the arrest at noon.
On the night of July 1, 2016, five armed militants stormed into Holet Artisan Bakery in the Gulshan diplomatic zone and held diners hostage at gunpoint. They then brutally murdered nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian and three Bangladeshis.
Two police officers also lost their lives as law enforcers in groups tried to close in on the place. The siege ended through a commando operation in which five militants and a chef died. Another staffer died of his injuries in hospital.
Law enforcers filed the case following the attack.
- Most viewed
- Magical good luck plants and trees for home
- Use potato slices to treat puffy eyes
- Jatrabari school teacher held over ‘sexual harassment’
- PM visits Rajshahi tomorrow
- Microsoft introduces Bangla version ‘Kaizala’
- President, PM pay homage to language martyrs
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- 21 February Deaths
- 21 February Births
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife
- Momena, Asmaul self-radicalised through internet videos: Cops
- Prime Minister reaches Abu Dhabi
- 2 housewives ‘commit’ suicide in Jessore