Gulshan café attack accused among 4 ‘militants’ held in Chapainawabganj
Published : 08 Jul 2017, 16:04
Four suspected members of banned militant outfit “Neo-JMB”, including an accused in a case filed in connection with Gulshan café attack, were arrested in Shibganj upazila of Chapainawabganj early today.
A team of law enforcers from Dhaka with the help of local police arrested the accused, Shohel Mahfuz, and three others at Ambagan in the upazila around 3:00am, said TM Mojahidul Islam, superintendant of Chapainawabganj police.
Shohel Mahfuz has been taken to the capital, the SP said.
The names and other details about the three other accused were not known immediately.
Chapainawabganj police will brief journalists about the arrest at noon.
On the night of July 1, 2016, five armed militants stormed into Holet Artisan Bakery in the Gulshan diplomatic zone and held diners hostage at gunpoint. They then brutally murdered nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian and three Bangladeshis.
Two police officers also lost their lives as law enforcers in groups tried to close in on the place. The siege ended through a commando operation in which five militants and a chef died. Another staffer died of his injuries in hospital.
Law enforcers filed the case following the attack.
- Most viewed
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- No need to react to marriage rumours
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Omarosa’s White House recordings fuel Trump woes
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women