Gulshan café attack accused among 4 ‘militants’ held in Chapainawabganj
Published : 08 Jul 2017, 16:04
Four suspected members of banned militant outfit “Neo-JMB”, including an accused in a case filed in connection with Gulshan café attack, were arrested in Shibganj upazila of Chapainawabganj early today.
A team of law enforcers from Dhaka with the help of local police arrested the accused, Shohel Mahfuz, and three others at Ambagan in the upazila around 3:00am, said TM Mojahidul Islam, superintendant of Chapainawabganj police.
Shohel Mahfuz has been taken to the capital, the SP said.
The names and other details about the three other accused were not known immediately.
Chapainawabganj police will brief journalists about the arrest at noon.
On the night of July 1, 2016, five armed militants stormed into Holet Artisan Bakery in the Gulshan diplomatic zone and held diners hostage at gunpoint. They then brutally murdered nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian and three Bangladeshis.
Two police officers also lost their lives as law enforcers in groups tried to close in on the place. The siege ended through a commando operation in which five militants and a chef died. Another staffer died of his injuries in hospital.
Law enforcers filed the case following the attack.
- Most viewed
- Vietnam sought Bangladesh's support for membership to the UNSC
- PM urges Australia to keep pressure on Myanmar
- 27 April Events
- 27 April Births
- 27 April Deaths
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- PM returns home from London
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 5th anniv of Rana Plaza tragedy today
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Hasina to receive global women leadership award