'50% women face unwanted touching at markets'
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 22:01
Fifty percent women experience unwanted touching at market places in Bangladesh, according to a new study.
ActionAid Bangladesh, an international non-governmental organisation, revealed the study at a press briefing at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in Dhaka today.
More than 42 percent of women are abused by service providers at hospitals while 30 percent women become victim of “eve-teasing” at police stations and 35 percent females become victim of physical torture at public places, recording to the study.
The research was conducted on 400 people in Khulna, Rajshahi, Chittagong and Narayanganj City Corporations in the first part of the last year.
“Important public service sectors of Bangladesh are not people oriented due to lack of investment, implementation of police and transparency and accountability,” states a press release issued by ActionAid Bangladesh.
It further says, “For these reasons, people, especially women become victim of numerous problems and harassment while seeking urgent services like health, education and transport.”
- Most viewed
- Sleeping late? Check your diet
- Vidya Balan, Rahul Bose tie up for a cause!
- EC fully independent, PM tells French envoy
- Why it is important for women to eat with their families
- Three men sentenced to death for killing 4 Habiganj kids
- Saima Wazed receives international award for fighting autism
- Smell like roses: Use the petals to treat acne and de-stress. We tell you how
- Photos: Mire madness as hundreds run, crawl and fight at Boryeong Mud Festival
- Sonakshi Sinha: I was always the pampered one
- Tahsan, Mithila announce their divorce
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Students clash with cops at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- Unidentified girl dies at DMCH, 12 days after rescue in senseless state
- Bangladeshi gets 11 years’ jail for raping tourist in Singapore
- 22 July Deaths
- Cop’s wife found dead in Jessore
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- 22 July Births