'50% women face unwanted touching at markets'
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 22:01
Fifty percent women experience unwanted touching at market places in Bangladesh, according to a new study.
ActionAid Bangladesh, an international non-governmental organisation, revealed the study at a press briefing at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in Dhaka today.
More than 42 percent of women are abused by service providers at hospitals while 30 percent women become victim of “eve-teasing” at police stations and 35 percent females become victim of physical torture at public places, recording to the study.
The research was conducted on 400 people in Khulna, Rajshahi, Chittagong and Narayanganj City Corporations in the first part of the last year.
“Important public service sectors of Bangladesh are not people oriented due to lack of investment, implementation of police and transparency and accountability,” states a press release issued by ActionAid Bangladesh.
It further says, “For these reasons, people, especially women become victim of numerous problems and harassment while seeking urgent services like health, education and transport.”
- Most viewed
- What to eat to stay full during Ramadan
- Worried about high cholesterol levels? Avoid foods full of trans fats
- Bangabandhu Satellite will benefit broadcasting industry: Tarana
- Bangladesh being built with Nazrul’s non-communal spirit: PM
- Ireland: Exit polls predict win for repealing abortion ban
- Housewife strangulated to death in Satkhira
- Facebook, Twitter to introduce new guidelines for political ads
- PM Hasina receives D.Litt from Nazrul University at Asansol
- 4 kids drown in Cox’s Bazar, Bagerhat
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- World needs to care about Rohingyas: Priyanka Chopra
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- The Simple Things That Can Easily Lift Your Mood Up
- True grit Sharapova back at French Open with point to prove
- Actress Tazin Ahmed passes away due to heart attack