'50% women face unwanted touching at markets'
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 22:01
Fifty percent women experience unwanted touching at market places in Bangladesh, according to a new study.
ActionAid Bangladesh, an international non-governmental organisation, revealed the study at a press briefing at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in Dhaka today.
More than 42 percent of women are abused by service providers at hospitals while 30 percent women become victim of “eve-teasing” at police stations and 35 percent females become victim of physical torture at public places, recording to the study.
The research was conducted on 400 people in Khulna, Rajshahi, Chittagong and Narayanganj City Corporations in the first part of the last year.
“Important public service sectors of Bangladesh are not people oriented due to lack of investment, implementation of police and transparency and accountability,” states a press release issued by ActionAid Bangladesh.
It further says, “For these reasons, people, especially women become victim of numerous problems and harassment while seeking urgent services like health, education and transport.”
- Most viewed
- From April, tourists can stay at Taj Mahal only for 3 hours
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- 17 March Deaths
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday