'50% women face unwanted touching at markets'
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 22:01
Fifty percent women experience unwanted touching at market places in Bangladesh, according to a new study.
ActionAid Bangladesh, an international non-governmental organisation, revealed the study at a press briefing at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in Dhaka today.
More than 42 percent of women are abused by service providers at hospitals while 30 percent women become victim of “eve-teasing” at police stations and 35 percent females become victim of physical torture at public places, recording to the study.
The research was conducted on 400 people in Khulna, Rajshahi, Chittagong and Narayanganj City Corporations in the first part of the last year.
“Important public service sectors of Bangladesh are not people oriented due to lack of investment, implementation of police and transparency and accountability,” states a press release issued by ActionAid Bangladesh.
It further says, “For these reasons, people, especially women become victim of numerous problems and harassment while seeking urgent services like health, education and transport.”
- Most viewed
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Elizabeth's memorable encounters with US presidents
- Asif Akbar to act in movies
- PM asks SSF not to isolate her from people
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final
- AL to fulfill pledges if voted to power again: Prime Minister
- US woman survives 7 days on radiator water after Jeep crash
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- Bangladesh women’s cricket team rout Netherlands by 7 wkts
- Teen arrested for dancing in Iran
- Six boys exit from Thai cave, Rescue operation underway
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- 'Rescued 8 Thai boys in good mental, physical state'