'50% women face unwanted touching at markets'
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 22:01
Fifty percent women experience unwanted touching at market places in Bangladesh, according to a new study.
ActionAid Bangladesh, an international non-governmental organisation, revealed the study at a press briefing at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity in Dhaka today.
More than 42 percent of women are abused by service providers at hospitals while 30 percent women become victim of “eve-teasing” at police stations and 35 percent females become victim of physical torture at public places, recording to the study.
The research was conducted on 400 people in Khulna, Rajshahi, Chittagong and Narayanganj City Corporations in the first part of the last year.
“Important public service sectors of Bangladesh are not people oriented due to lack of investment, implementation of police and transparency and accountability,” states a press release issued by ActionAid Bangladesh.
It further says, “For these reasons, people, especially women become victim of numerous problems and harassment while seeking urgent services like health, education and transport.”
- Most viewed
- Traditional Ramadan Drinks with a Twist?
- Bangladesh-India to continue trend of cooperation in future: PM
- PM Hasina, Indian PM Modi inaugurate ‘Bangladesh Bhaban’ at Shantiniketan
- Only 1/5 of displaced Rohingyas’ needs funded: UNFPA
- Hasina, Modi to inaugurate Bangladesh Bhaban today
- PM Hasina in Santiniketan on a two-day visit to Kolkata
- PM Hasina talks to ailing Mahmoud Abbas over phone
- Priyanka asks world to learn from Bangladesh
- PM Sheikh Hasina left Dhaka for Kolkata
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement
- 10 killed in Texas school shooting
- More than 100 killed in Cuba Plane crash (Video)
- Lack of awareness, support pushes up suicide incidents in BD: Expert
- Siam plays Salman Shah for ‘Poramon 2’
- Two teenage ethnic girls found dead
- Sheikh Hasina, Modi to meet in Santiniketan
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be