Torture during pregnancy: Nilphamari baby dies
Published : 10 Aug 2017, 12:43
The woman who was tied to a tree and tortured during pregnancy allegedly by ruling party activists in Nilphamari has lost her premature newborn.
The baby, nine-week premature and weighing only 900 grams, died at the intensive care unit, our local correspondent reports quoting an attending nurse.
The newborn was in an unstable condition since birth on Monday, said Professor Ferdousi Sultana, a gynecologist at Rangpur Medical College Hospital.
Shefali Begum, 32, admitted to the hospital in a traumatised condition on Saturday gave birth to a daughter two days later after a surgery on her.
“The infant was kept in an intensive care unit. But all efforts went in vain as the child could not be saved,” Lovely Begum, an attendant nurse said.
Shefali, wife of a rickshaw puller, said some people tied her to a mango tree and tortured her on instructions of local Awami League leader Abdul Kader on Friday.
The political leader is the Khalisha Chapani union-level president of Awami League.
- Most viewed
- Stress just as unhealthy as junk food
- HC for probe into child’s birth, death on hospital compound
- Canada’s Quebec province to ban face coverings in public sector
- Brad Pitt eyeing Angelina Jolie’s lookalike
- Students from Dhaka win study trip to Australian Univ
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Momen urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises
- Woman holds world record for sleeping with 919 men in one day
- Safa takes a break from TV series
- Hormone therapy ‘safe’ for women with migraine?
- Samsung Electronics CEO resigns
- Staying in shape may make you live longer
- Rivals accused in cases over attack on Sajeda’s motorcade
- 18 October Events
- Oscars board expels producer Harvey Weinstein from Academy amid sexual assault allegations
- Jennifer Aniston donates $1 mn to charity
- France's Audrey Azoulay wins vote to be next UNESCO chief