Torture during pregnancy: Nilphamari baby dies
Published : 10 Aug 2017, 12:43
The woman who was tied to a tree and tortured during pregnancy allegedly by ruling party activists in Nilphamari has lost her premature newborn.
The baby, nine-week premature and weighing only 900 grams, died at the intensive care unit, our local correspondent reports quoting an attending nurse.
The newborn was in an unstable condition since birth on Monday, said Professor Ferdousi Sultana, a gynecologist at Rangpur Medical College Hospital.
Shefali Begum, 32, admitted to the hospital in a traumatised condition on Saturday gave birth to a daughter two days later after a surgery on her.
“The infant was kept in an intensive care unit. But all efforts went in vain as the child could not be saved,” Lovely Begum, an attendant nurse said.
Shefali, wife of a rickshaw puller, said some people tied her to a mango tree and tortured her on instructions of local Awami League leader Abdul Kader on Friday.
The political leader is the Khalisha Chapani union-level president of Awami League.
- Most viewed
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- 20 September Events
- 20 September Births
- 20 September Deaths
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangabandhu struggled for peace and equality: PM
- 15 September Deaths
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Technical school & college to be built in each upazila: PM
- 15 September Events
- Sonam believes Kangana is a troublemaker
- Technology is the best way to develop country: Sheikh Hasina
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks