Torture during pregnancy: Nilphamari baby dies
Published : 10 Aug 2017, 12:43
The woman who was tied to a tree and tortured during pregnancy allegedly by ruling party activists in Nilphamari has lost her premature newborn.
The baby, nine-week premature and weighing only 900 grams, died at the intensive care unit, our local correspondent reports quoting an attending nurse.
The newborn was in an unstable condition since birth on Monday, said Professor Ferdousi Sultana, a gynecologist at Rangpur Medical College Hospital.
Shefali Begum, 32, admitted to the hospital in a traumatised condition on Saturday gave birth to a daughter two days later after a surgery on her.
“The infant was kept in an intensive care unit. But all efforts went in vain as the child could not be saved,” Lovely Begum, an attendant nurse said.
Shefali, wife of a rickshaw puller, said some people tied her to a mango tree and tortured her on instructions of local Awami League leader Abdul Kader on Friday.
The political leader is the Khalisha Chapani union-level president of Awami League.
- Most viewed
- New diabetes drug may help obese to reduce weight
- Daryl Hannah debuts as director
- Bodies of 23 plane crash victims arrive in Dhaka
- Cabinet adopts obituary reference for Priyabhashini, plane crash victims
- Housewife found dead in Rajshahi
- Husband kills 16-year-old wife in City
- SC stays Khaleda’s HC bail till May 8
- Janaza of dead Bangladeshis held, bodies to be brought back today
- 19 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- PM returns home tomorrow shortening Singapore visit
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka