Torture during pregnancy: Nilphamari baby dies
Published : 10 Aug 2017, 12:43
The woman who was tied to a tree and tortured during pregnancy allegedly by ruling party activists in Nilphamari has lost her premature newborn.
The baby, nine-week premature and weighing only 900 grams, died at the intensive care unit, our local correspondent reports quoting an attending nurse.
The newborn was in an unstable condition since birth on Monday, said Professor Ferdousi Sultana, a gynecologist at Rangpur Medical College Hospital.
Shefali Begum, 32, admitted to the hospital in a traumatised condition on Saturday gave birth to a daughter two days later after a surgery on her.
“The infant was kept in an intensive care unit. But all efforts went in vain as the child could not be saved,” Lovely Begum, an attendant nurse said.
Shefali, wife of a rickshaw puller, said some people tied her to a mango tree and tortured her on instructions of local Awami League leader Abdul Kader on Friday.
The political leader is the Khalisha Chapani union-level president of Awami League.
- Most viewed
- SC on Khaleda's bail in another Cumilla case Tuesday
- 25 June Births
- 25 June Deaths
- 25 June Events
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl