DU assistant proctor in trouble over alleged sexual harassment
Published : 13 Aug 2017, 17:05
Two female students have brought allegations of sexual harassment against Dhaka University (DU) assistant proctor Robiul Islam which they said happened during a scuffle between teachers and students on July 29 over DU VC panel election.
The students, who are also leaders of two different student organisations, submitted separate complaints to Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof Nasreen Ahmad on August 10.
In their complaints, they said they wore black clothes on their faces as per their previous schedule during the senate special session on July 29, and formed a human chain in protest against the absence of student representatives to the Senate.
When the students broke the locked gate of Senate Bhaban and entered it, they alleged that the teachers, at one point, pulled them out holding their necks.
At that time, they further alleged, the assistant proctor suddenly held a female student's throat. When another female student tried to get her released, the teacher pulled her out as well, they alleged, adding that the teacher took advantage of the incident as they were girls.
Terming it 'sexual harassment', they duo demanded punishment of the assistant proctor.
Contacted, DU Pro-VC (Education) Prof Nasreen Ahmad told UNB, "I've received the copies of allegations placed by two female students.
Like other incidents at the DU, we'll take steps in this regard as well about after investigation."
- Most viewed
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- Sheikh Hasina leaves for Australia today on three-day visit
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Mother, daughter killed in Moulvibazar fire
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- PM returns home from London
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge
- 5th anniv of Rana Plaza tragedy today
- Hasina to receive global women leadership award
- Model Kazi Asif freed on bail