Force Myanmar to take back Rohingyas, Prime Minister to IOM DG
Published : 21 Sep 2017, 17:16
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has urged Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) William Lacy Swing to create pressure on Myanmar government to take back Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh.
She made the call when the IOM DG met her at her hotel suite on Wednesday.
Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque briefed reporters after the meeting. PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim was present, reports UNB.
"They (Rohingyas) have to go back to their homeland, create international pressure on Myanmar so that they take steps to bring their citizens back," Shahidul Haque quoted the Prime Minister as saying.
The IOM DG thanked the Bangladesh Prime Minister for giving shelter to the Rohingya refugees and informed her of the relief operation of IOM for Rohingyas.
William Lacy informed the Prime Minister that he will visit Bangladesh on October 5-6.
During the briefing, Bangladesh Permanent Representative to UN Masud Bin Momen said a bilateral meeting between Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was held at the UN Headquarters on the sidelines of the current session of the UN General Assembly.
He said Bangladesh and Estonia discussed strengthening cooperation between the two countries in the ICT sector.
President Kersti apprised the Prime Minister of her county's digital progress over the last few years while Sheikh Hasina highlighted Bangladesh's recent success in the ICT sector.
Both the leaders were keen to share their experiences with each other and strengthen cooperation in the ICT sector to tap the potentials of the sector.
The leaders also discussed other prospective areas of cooperation, foreign secretary Shahidul Haque said.
PM's Advisor on ICT Affairs Sajeeb Ahmed Wajed Joy was present on the occasion.
In the afternoon, the Prime Minister held a meeting with Queen Maxima of the Netherlands, also UN special envoy on financing.
The foreign secretary said Queen Maxima and Bangladesh Prime Minister discussed the Rohingya issue.
The Netherlands Queen highly praised Bangladesh for its role in dealing with Rohingya issue.
He also said on September 19 Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had a brief meeting after the OIC core committee meeting at the UN Headquarters.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit