PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
Published : 22 Nov 2017, 18:01
Prime Minister and Leader of the House Sheikh Hasina today ruled out major shortfall of foodgrain production in the country though this year's flood caused damage to crops to a some extent.
"There will be no major shortfall of foodgrain production despite this year's flood caused damage to crops to a some extent ... we're always active to achieve the target of food production," she said in reply to a starred question raised by Jatiya Party lawmaker Nurul Islam Milon (Comilla-8) during her question-answer session in the House.
The Leader of the House said three crore, 88 lakh and 15 thousand metric tons of granular foodgrains (rice, wheat and maize) were produced in fiscal 2016-17.
Sheikh Hasina said since the assumption of office, the present Awami League government is always active for the development of agriculture and welfare of the farmers.
"For the assistance of the peasants, the government has been implementing various programmes and as a result, the country achieved outstanding success in agriculture production," she said.
The prime minister said the government has taken various programmes for the assistance of the affected farmers.
She said Taka 117 crore special agriculture rehabilitation progreamme has been undertaken for the help of the farmers of the six districts of haor region who were affected due to flood, excessive rains and onrush of hilly water.
Sheikh Hasina said Taka 58.75 crore were released for execution of agri incentive programme to assist the small and marginalized peasants in mug and sesame production in the next "kharif" season-1.
Besides, she said, Taka 19.99 core have been released for implementation of the rehabilitation programme to produce boro paddy, wheat, maize, mustard oil and peanuts.
- Most viewed
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- Wonder benefits of coconut oil
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- Theresa May wins key Brexit vote despite ongoing rebellion
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers