PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
Published : 22 Nov 2017, 18:01
Prime Minister and Leader of the House Sheikh Hasina today ruled out major shortfall of foodgrain production in the country though this year's flood caused damage to crops to a some extent.
"There will be no major shortfall of foodgrain production despite this year's flood caused damage to crops to a some extent ... we're always active to achieve the target of food production," she said in reply to a starred question raised by Jatiya Party lawmaker Nurul Islam Milon (Comilla-8) during her question-answer session in the House.
The Leader of the House said three crore, 88 lakh and 15 thousand metric tons of granular foodgrains (rice, wheat and maize) were produced in fiscal 2016-17.
Sheikh Hasina said since the assumption of office, the present Awami League government is always active for the development of agriculture and welfare of the farmers.
"For the assistance of the peasants, the government has been implementing various programmes and as a result, the country achieved outstanding success in agriculture production," she said.
The prime minister said the government has taken various programmes for the assistance of the affected farmers.
She said Taka 117 crore special agriculture rehabilitation progreamme has been undertaken for the help of the farmers of the six districts of haor region who were affected due to flood, excessive rains and onrush of hilly water.
Sheikh Hasina said Taka 58.75 crore were released for execution of agri incentive programme to assist the small and marginalized peasants in mug and sesame production in the next "kharif" season-1.
Besides, she said, Taka 19.99 core have been released for implementation of the rehabilitation programme to produce boro paddy, wheat, maize, mustard oil and peanuts.
- Most viewed
- Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
- Women in Somalia defy strict rules to play football
- Work efficiently to tap sea resources: PM asks navy
- Boko Haram frees abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- ‘RMG workers are unaware they are sexually harassed’
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- The Rohingya children trafficked for sex
- Tribute song for US-Bangla plane crash victims
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity