Five receive Rokeya Padak
Published : 09 Dec 2017, 12:31
Five persons have received prestigious Rokeya Padak, 2017 for their outstanding contributions to the society and the empowerment of womenfolk.
They are Freedom Fighter and organiser Mazeda Shawkat Ali, journalist Mahfuza Khatun Baby Moudud (Posthumous), Artiste Suraiya Rahman, writer Shobha Rani Tripura, and social worker Masuda Faruk Ratna.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina handed over the prizes and certificates among the winners and their family members at a programme held at Osmani Memorial Auditorium in the capital on Saturday.
The Ministry of Children and Women Affairs organised the programme with State Minister for Women and Children Affairs Meher Afroze Chumki in the chair. Secretary to the ministry Nasima Begum read out the citations.
The government introduced the award in 1995 after the name of Begum Rokeya, a pioneer of women's rights movement in the undivided Bengal who was a leading feminist writer and social worker during the early 20th century and mostly famous for her efforts for gender equality and female education.
- Most viewed
- Rana Plaza was a man-made disaster: Rushanara Ali
- Cooper, Gaga’s pact for ‘A Star Is Born’
- A four day Baul and Vaishnav music festival will begin on 28 April in East London
- Abducted minor girl rescued from Cox’s Bazar, 2 held
- Rape accused killed in Chattogram ‘gunfight’
- Sania Mirza, Shoaib Malik expecting first child
- Hasina to receive global women leadership award
- ‘Dead’ baby finally dies
- Justice demanded on Rana Plaza anniversary
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM returns home from London
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira