Lamy seeks Dhaka's support to host World Expo-2025 in France
Published : 08 Jan 2018, 12:18
France government's consultant and Former Director General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) Pascal Lamy made a courtesy call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her Tejgaon office here yesterday.
Pascal Lamy conveyed the Prime Minister about his country's interest in hosting the World Expo-2025, seeking Bangladesh support, PM's press secretary Ihsanul Karim said.
Other countries vying for hosting the event are- Japan, Russia and Azerbaijan.
France has set the theme of the World Expo-2025 as "Knowledge to Share, Planet to Care," Karim said as Lamy told the Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister said Bangladesh will consider French request, the press secretary said.
Pascal Lamy praised Bangladesh's economic development under the leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Sheikh Hasina highlighted Bangladesh's economic progress over the years saying now the country is trying to tap the potentials of the blue economy.
In view of this, she said, Bangladesh has resolved the disputes with India and Myanmar on maritime boundary issues and took steps to create efficient manpower in this field.
Oceanography course was introduced in two universities to build up the manpower, she said.
Sheikh Hasina also recalled her recent visit to France, appreciating President Emmanuel Macron as a young and energetic leader.
PM's Principal Secretary Md. Nojibur Rahman was present.
- Most viewed
- PM urges journalists to use professional scope for people’s welfare
- Facebook accused of hiding job ads from women
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 19 September Events
- 19 September Births
- 19 September Deaths
- Newspaper is mirror of society: PM
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit
- 14 September Births
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Events
- 14 September Deaths
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised
- Choose natural plants to connect you to your interiors