Build yourself as pro-people force: PM to police
Published : 08 Jan 2018, 12:44
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Monday asked the police to build themselves as members of a pro-people force as their duty towards people is huge.
"You must always remember that you’re the members of the police force of independent Bangladesh…your duty towards people is immense…you have to build yourselves as pro-people ones," she said.
The Prime Minister said this while inaugurating the Police Week-2018 at Dhaka Metropolitan Police Lines at Rajarbagh.
The Police Week-2018 has begun with the motto ‘Remedy of Militancy and Drugs: Commitment of Bangladesh Police’.
Sheikh Hasina said she hoped that each and every police personnel will discharge his or her duty to the helpless and distressed people. “I hope, you’ll extend your hands towards them.”
The Prime Minister said the members of the police force have to ensure accountability for every work. “By the time, ‘IGP Complaint Cell’ has been set up at the Police Headquarters, I hope, this will play an effective role in ensuring professional accountability of police personnel,” she hoped.
Hasina reviewed a spectacular parade of different contingents of Bangladesh Police arranged on the occasion. Riding an open jeep, she visited the parade and took salute.
The Prime Minister handed over awards in four categories to 182 policemen for their outstanding performance in 2017. Of the police personnel, 30 received Bangladesh Police Medal (BPM) while 71 President Police Medal (PPM), 28 Bangladesh Police Medal (BPM-Service) and 53 President Police Medal (PPM-Service) awards for their bravery and courage in their services in the last one year.
Hasina also inaugurated the newly-constructed police auditorium at Rajarbagh, and visited the stalls of Police Nari Kalyan Samiti (Punak).
On her arrival at the venue, the Prime Minister was received by Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan and Inspector General of Police (IGP) AKM Shahidul Hoque.
- Most viewed
- Live longer: 8 tips to slow down ageing with antioxidant-rich food
- Katrina Kaif's sister Isabelle Kaif is all set for Bollywood
- Alia Bhatt steals shoes at her friend's wedding function
- Woman commits suicide after killing daughter
- Ivy released from hospital
- 23 January Deaths
- 23 January Births
- 23 January Events
- PM releases stamp, first day cover on Int'l Customs Day
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Priyanka Chopra lets go of her diet on her vacation!
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- UN rapporteur determined to follow up thwarted mission
- British MPs approve landmark Brexit bill
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan