People to resist BNP again if it tries to thwart polls: PM
Published : 11 Jan 2018, 13:15
Prime Minister and Leader of the House Sheikh Hasina yesterday said the people will resist the BNP-Jamaat like the previous time if they try to thwart the election this time.
"The BNP-Jamaat made allout efforts and unleashed terrorist acts to resist the 2014 elections. But their movement didn't get public support, rather they (people) put up resistance against it," she said.
Sheikh Hasina added that the people of the country will resist the BNP-Jamaat if they try again to thwart the elections this time. Because, the people are getting benefits from the development work that the present government initiated after coming to power in 2014, she said.
She said despite the obstruction by the BNP-Jamaat, the people gave vote in the polls. "Nearly 40 percent votes were casted in the polls," she said, adding the people are witnessing socioeconomic development as the continuity of the government is ongoing.
Pointing out the mindless violence and rampage harboured by the BNP-Jamaat to overthrow the government and resist the 2014 polls, she said women, children, teachers, students, policemen -- none were spared from their arson attacks.
They killed common people, CNG, bus and truck drivers and helpers by pouring petrol, she said.
She said different mega projects will be implemented if the continuation of the present government keeps up. "We could achieve 8 percent GDP growth and slash poverty rate further if the continuity of the government is maintained," she said.
- Most viewed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 21 September Deaths
- Quitting junk food can have withdrawals as drug addiction
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangabandhu struggled for peace and equality: PM
- 15 September Deaths
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Technical school & college to be built in each upazila: PM
- 15 September Events
- Sonam believes Kangana is a troublemaker
- Technology is the best way to develop country: Sheikh Hasina
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks