Prime MInister mourns death of Asma Jahangir
Published : 12 Feb 2018, 12:51
Prime MInister Sheikh Hasina today expressed profound shock at the death of noted human rights lawyer and social activist of Pakistan Asma Jahangir.
In a message of condolence the Prime Minister, now in Italy on an official visit, recalled the role of Asama Jahangir in defending the human and women rights and rights of religious minorities in his country and beyond.
PM's press secretary Ehsanul Karim said over phone from Rome that the prime minister also recalled that Asma's father Malik Ghulam Jilani was arrested in 1971 for denouncing Pakistan army atrocities and genocide on Bengali people.
Malik Ghulam Jilani, was awarded the 'Friends of Liberation War Award' in 2013 for his role in 1971, and his daughter Asma Jahangir received it from the Prime Minister.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family members, followers and admires of the late human rights activist.
- Most viewed
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self