Prime MInister mourns death of Asma Jahangir
Published : 12 Feb 2018, 12:51
Prime MInister Sheikh Hasina today expressed profound shock at the death of noted human rights lawyer and social activist of Pakistan Asma Jahangir.
In a message of condolence the Prime Minister, now in Italy on an official visit, recalled the role of Asama Jahangir in defending the human and women rights and rights of religious minorities in his country and beyond.
PM's press secretary Ehsanul Karim said over phone from Rome that the prime minister also recalled that Asma's father Malik Ghulam Jilani was arrested in 1971 for denouncing Pakistan army atrocities and genocide on Bengali people.
Malik Ghulam Jilani, was awarded the 'Friends of Liberation War Award' in 2013 for his role in 1971, and his daughter Asma Jahangir received it from the Prime Minister.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family members, followers and admires of the late human rights activist.
- Most viewed
- Myanmar dithering on repatriation: Prime Minister
- Bangabandhu Satellite to be launched in Mar 2018: PM
- Election in due time no matter who joins it: PM
- PM's press conference begins
- Pressure on Myanmar must for Rohingya repatriation: Norway
- Saudi women don't need male permission to start businesses
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife commits suicide in Chandpur
- Voting right is the basic right of people: PM
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Thousands celebrate Pohela Falgun at Charukola
- Court takes charges into cognizance over assaulting woman by policemen
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting