Prime MInister mourns death of Asma Jahangir
Published : 12 Feb 2018, 12:51
Prime MInister Sheikh Hasina today expressed profound shock at the death of noted human rights lawyer and social activist of Pakistan Asma Jahangir.
In a message of condolence the Prime Minister, now in Italy on an official visit, recalled the role of Asama Jahangir in defending the human and women rights and rights of religious minorities in his country and beyond.
PM's press secretary Ehsanul Karim said over phone from Rome that the prime minister also recalled that Asma's father Malik Ghulam Jilani was arrested in 1971 for denouncing Pakistan army atrocities and genocide on Bengali people.
Malik Ghulam Jilani, was awarded the 'Friends of Liberation War Award' in 2013 for his role in 1971, and his daughter Asma Jahangir received it from the Prime Minister.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family members, followers and admires of the late human rights activist.
- Most viewed
- Rickshaw drivers protest Kathua and Unnao rapes
- Rana Plaza was a man-made disaster: Rushanara Ali
- Cooper, Gaga’s pact for ‘A Star Is Born’
- A four day Baul and Vaishnav music festival will begin on 28 April in East London
- Abducted minor girl rescued from Cox’s Bazar, 2 held
- Rape accused killed in Chattogram ‘gunfight’
- Sania Mirza, Shoaib Malik expecting first child
- Hasina to receive global women leadership award
- ‘Dead’ baby finally dies
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM returns home from London
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge