Prime MInister mourns death of Asma Jahangir
Published : 12 Feb 2018, 12:51
Prime MInister Sheikh Hasina today expressed profound shock at the death of noted human rights lawyer and social activist of Pakistan Asma Jahangir.
In a message of condolence the Prime Minister, now in Italy on an official visit, recalled the role of Asama Jahangir in defending the human and women rights and rights of religious minorities in his country and beyond.
PM's press secretary Ehsanul Karim said over phone from Rome that the prime minister also recalled that Asma's father Malik Ghulam Jilani was arrested in 1971 for denouncing Pakistan army atrocities and genocide on Bengali people.
Malik Ghulam Jilani, was awarded the 'Friends of Liberation War Award' in 2013 for his role in 1971, and his daughter Asma Jahangir received it from the Prime Minister.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed profound sympathy to the bereaved family members, followers and admires of the late human rights activist.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM