Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife
Published : 15 Feb 2018, 15:25
A court here on Wednesday awarded death sentence to a young man for killing a housewife after failing to violate her in Nalitabari upazila in 2011.
The condemned convict is Ashraf Ali, 32, son of Kubbad Ali of Moakura village in the upazila. The court also fined him Tk 10,000.
Ashraf became unconscious in the dock when the judge announced the judgment.
According to the prosecution, Ashraf stormed into the house of his neighbour Hazera Khatun of the village at the dead of night on May 7, 2011 while she was asleep with her 18-month-old son and attempted to rape her.
After failing to violate the housewife, Ashraf stabbed her indiscriminately, leaving her dead. However, she mentioned Ashraf’s name before succumbing to her injuries.
Later, locals caught the killer and handed him over to police and victim’s father filed a case in this regard.
On August 13, 2011, Detective Branch of police submitted a charge-sheet in the case.
After examining all the records and witnesses, Judge Md Mosleh Uddin of District and Session’s Judge Court handed down the verdict.
- Most viewed
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- 17 March Deaths
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!