21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
Published : 15 Feb 2018, 15:44
At least 17 women were either gang raped or raped inside public transports while four other women were sexually harassed across the country in the last 13 months, a passengers’ welfare platform said today.
Nine out of the 17 women were gang raped by drivers and helpers of the vehicle, according to a report revealed by Bangladesh Jatri Kalyan Samity.
Whilst the rest were raped in the other eight incidents, the platform added.
Cases have been filed in all but one incident. Law enforcers arrested 55 persons in these connections, the organisation said in the report published today.
No case has been filed in connection with an incident of gang rape in April 9 last year, said the organisation, which prepared the list based on media reports.
The report mentioned rape and murder of law student Rupa Khatun in Tangail last year.
Rupa, 27, was raped and killed on a bus headed to Mymensingh by the driver and three of his assistants on August 25, last year.
A Tangail court on Monday sentenced the driver and his three assistants to death and handed seven years imprisonment to the bus supervisor for the offences.
- Most viewed
- Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
- Women in Somalia defy strict rules to play football
- Work efficiently to tap sea resources: PM asks navy
- Boko Haram frees abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- ‘RMG workers are unaware they are sexually harassed’
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- The Rohingya children trafficked for sex
- Tribute song for US-Bangla plane crash victims
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- 4 plane crash victims to be brought to Dhaka soon
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation