Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
Published : 19 Feb 2018, 15:44
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, who was recently jailed for five years in a graft case, cannot take part in the next general election in the present context, the chief election commissioner said today.
But if she moves an appeal before the Supreme Court against her conviction and the court permit her to contest the election, she can run the election, CEC AKM Nurul Huda said.
He was talking to reporters after a courtesy call on Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain at his SC office.
The CEC said he was a lower court judge once upon a time and he feels at this moment that Khaleda cannot contest the election.
He said the SC has two separate verdicts over the issue. One judgment said if anybody is convicted and sentenced to two or more years' in jail by the lower court for moral turpitude, he or she can contest the election until the appeal is not settled by the apex court.
In another judgment, the apex court said a convict cannot contest the election, the CEC said.
Now, it depends on SC whether she can contest the election, he added.
Khaleda landed in jail on February 8 after a special court sentenced her to five years' rigorous imprisonment in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case, dealing a severe blow to BNP ahead of the upcoming national elections.
- Most viewed
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- 17 March Deaths
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!