Hearing on Khaleda’s bail plea today
Published : 25 Feb 2018, 12:14
The High Court is set to hear today a petition filed by BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia seeking bail in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
The bail petition has been kept as item no 36 of the High Court’s cause list for Sunday. The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Shahidul Karim will hear the petition from 2:00pm.
Earlier on Thursday, the same bench set the date after Khaleda’s lawyers filed the bail prayer.
The court had also accepted for hearing another petition of the BNP chief filed challenging the trial court verdict sentencing her to five years’ imprisonment in the case and stayed the fine of Tk 2.10 crore slapped by the lawyer court on her.
It had asked the lower court to submit all the documents relating to the judgment before it within 15 days.
Barrister Nowshad Jamir and Barrister Kaiser Kamal, on behalf of the BNP chief, had submitted the 880-page bail petition in the morning showing 31 grounds for granting her bail.
On Tuesday, lawyers of the BNP chairperson filed an appeal with the High Court challenging her sentence in the graft case.
On February 8 last, the Dhaka Special Court-5 convicted the former Prime Minister and BNP chairperson and sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case.
She was then sent to old central jail at Nazimuddin Road in the city.
- Most viewed
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Wife of pilot Abid passes away
- 23 March Deaths
- 23 March Births
- 23 March Events
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- 17 March Deaths
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!