Quality, time-befitting education a must: PM
Published : 25 Feb 2018, 13:57
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today put emphasis on quality and time-befitting education to further consolidate country's position in the fast-changing and competitive world.
"We want to build a time-befitting and quality education system so that the nation can move keeping pace with the modern world. To achieve the goal, we're going ahead with various measures," she said while distributing Prime Minister Gold Medals-2015 and 2016 among the meritorious students at her office in the morning.
Laying importance on building a skilled workforce to establish a hunger and poverty-free prosperous Bangladesh, the premier said it (workforce) could bring economic freedom for the people and develop the country socially and flourish culture. "The country will advance further with dignity and honour if such a workforce is built," she added.
University Grants Commission Chairman Professor Abdul Mannan presided over the function, while Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid and Secretary of Secondary and Higher Secondary Division of the Education Ministry Sohrab Hossain were present at the function as the special guests.
UGC Member Professor Dr Dil Afroz Begum delivered the welcome address and PM's Principal Secretary Dr Nojibur Rahman was also present on the dais.
On behalf of the Gold Medal recipients, Rubaya Zabin Priota of the Department of Drama and Dramatics of Jahangirnagar University and Noor Mohammad of the Department of Chemical Engineering of BUET expressed their feelings on receiving the award.
Ministers, the premier's advisers, parliament members, vice-chancellors and senior faculty members of different public and private universities were present on the occasion.
Sheikh Hasina said time befitting higher education is very much essential for human resource development as well as overall uplift of the country.
"In modern era, the necessity of higher education and skill are unbounded," she said, adding the knowledge, skill and innovative power attained through quality education and research can take civilisation to a dignified position overcoming all adversities and hurdles.
- Most viewed
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Hasina, Modi inaugurate Bangladesh-India oil pipeline
- Emmys full of surprises, 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' dominates
- 18 September Events
- 18 September Births
- 18 September Deaths
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- 14 September Births
- Country is marching forward: Sheikh Hasina
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Deaths
- 14 September Events
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised