Quality, time-befitting education a must: PM
Published : 25 Feb 2018, 13:57
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today put emphasis on quality and time-befitting education to further consolidate country's position in the fast-changing and competitive world.
"We want to build a time-befitting and quality education system so that the nation can move keeping pace with the modern world. To achieve the goal, we're going ahead with various measures," she said while distributing Prime Minister Gold Medals-2015 and 2016 among the meritorious students at her office in the morning.
Laying importance on building a skilled workforce to establish a hunger and poverty-free prosperous Bangladesh, the premier said it (workforce) could bring economic freedom for the people and develop the country socially and flourish culture. "The country will advance further with dignity and honour if such a workforce is built," she added.
University Grants Commission Chairman Professor Abdul Mannan presided over the function, while Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid and Secretary of Secondary and Higher Secondary Division of the Education Ministry Sohrab Hossain were present at the function as the special guests.
UGC Member Professor Dr Dil Afroz Begum delivered the welcome address and PM's Principal Secretary Dr Nojibur Rahman was also present on the dais.
On behalf of the Gold Medal recipients, Rubaya Zabin Priota of the Department of Drama and Dramatics of Jahangirnagar University and Noor Mohammad of the Department of Chemical Engineering of BUET expressed their feelings on receiving the award.
Ministers, the premier's advisers, parliament members, vice-chancellors and senior faculty members of different public and private universities were present on the occasion.
Sheikh Hasina said time befitting higher education is very much essential for human resource development as well as overall uplift of the country.
"In modern era, the necessity of higher education and skill are unbounded," she said, adding the knowledge, skill and innovative power attained through quality education and research can take civilisation to a dignified position overcoming all adversities and hurdles.
- Most viewed
- Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
- Women in Somalia defy strict rules to play football
- Work efficiently to tap sea resources: PM asks navy
- Boko Haram frees abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- ‘RMG workers are unaware they are sexually harassed’
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- The Rohingya children trafficked for sex
- Tribute song for US-Bangla plane crash victims
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- 4 plane crash victims to be brought to Dhaka soon
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation