Prime Minister addressing March 7 rally
Published : 07 Mar 2018, 17:26
The public rally of Awami League marking the historic March 7 began at 2.30 pm in city's Suhrawardy Udyan through recitations from the holy Quran, the Geeta, the Tripitaka and the Bible.
Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is presiding over the huge rally.
AL General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, in his welcome address, said the March 7 is being observed in the face of a new challenge this year.
"Observance of historic March 7 is a matter of values, spirit and ideology," the minister said, adding the UNESCO recognized the March 7 speech of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as a world documentary heritage in the Memory of the World Register.
AL Publicity and Publication Secretary Hasan Mahmud and Cultural Affairs Secretary Ashim Kumar Ukil are conducting the rally.
Since morning, groups had started to gather in and around the Suhrawardy Udyan.
On March 7 in 1971, Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, in his historic speech at a mammoth rally in the then 'Race Course Maidan', now Suhrawardy Udyan, in the city directed the freedom-loving Bangalees for waging a decisive struggle against the Pakistan occupation forces.
- Most viewed
- SC on Khaleda's bail in another Cumilla case Tuesday
- 25 June Births
- 25 June Deaths
- 25 June Events
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl