Prime Minister addressing March 7 rally
Published : 07 Mar 2018, 17:26
The public rally of Awami League marking the historic March 7 began at 2.30 pm in city's Suhrawardy Udyan through recitations from the holy Quran, the Geeta, the Tripitaka and the Bible.
Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is presiding over the huge rally.
AL General Secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, in his welcome address, said the March 7 is being observed in the face of a new challenge this year.
"Observance of historic March 7 is a matter of values, spirit and ideology," the minister said, adding the UNESCO recognized the March 7 speech of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as a world documentary heritage in the Memory of the World Register.
AL Publicity and Publication Secretary Hasan Mahmud and Cultural Affairs Secretary Ashim Kumar Ukil are conducting the rally.
Since morning, groups had started to gather in and around the Suhrawardy Udyan.
On March 7 in 1971, Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, in his historic speech at a mammoth rally in the then 'Race Course Maidan', now Suhrawardy Udyan, in the city directed the freedom-loving Bangalees for waging a decisive struggle against the Pakistan occupation forces.
- Most viewed
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- 17 March Deaths
- 17 March Births
- At least 50 dead in US Bangla aircraft crash in TIA
- Schoolgirl ‘raped by 2 teenagers’ in Sylhet
- FBHRO starts its journey
- US-Bangla Airlines aircraft crashes in Kathmandu
- US-Bangla aircraft’s passenger list
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims