PM returns home today shortening Singapore visit
Published : 13 Mar 2018, 13:25
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will return home today cutting short her official visit to Singapore to stand beside the families of the victims of tragic plane crash at Kathmandu yesterday.
PM's press secretary Ihsanul Karim confirmed that the prime minister will return to Dhaka today afternoon by a regular flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines from Singapore.
Sheikh Hasina, who arrived in Singapore on Sunday on a four-day official visit, was scheduled to return home on Wednesday.
Meanwhile in a message to the nation, the prime minister said she will return home to stand beside the families of the victims of air crash which claimed lives of most of 71 passengers on board of the flight of US-Bangla Airlines bound for Kathmandu from Dhaka.
Sheikh Hasina expressed her profound shock and grief at the deaths of many compatriot citizens and nationals of Nepal, China, the Maldives and some other countries.
She conveyed her deep sympathy to the members of the bereaved families.
The prime minister talked to her Nepalese counterpart Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli over phone soon after the tragic accident and assured him of giving all possible support in conducting the rescue operation and treatment of the injured persons.
An aircraft is ready with doctors and necessary medical equipment and manpower and it will reach Katmandu soon after resumption of the operation of the Tribhuban Airport, she said.
Sheikh Hasina said the chiefs of three services and Prime Minister Office (PMO) are in constant touch with the authorities concerned in Nepal, while the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is taking all measures to help the families of the victims.
The prime minister said the Nepalese army has responded quickly to launch the rescue drive following the crash near an army camp.
The injured passengers were admitted to five hospitals in Nepal, she said.
- Most viewed
- What to eat to stay full during Ramadan
- Worried about high cholesterol levels? Avoid foods full of trans fats
- Bangabandhu Satellite will benefit broadcasting industry: Tarana
- Bangladesh being built with Nazrul’s non-communal spirit: PM
- Ireland: Exit polls predict win for repealing abortion ban
- Housewife strangulated to death in Satkhira
- Facebook, Twitter to introduce new guidelines for political ads
- PM Hasina receives D.Litt from Nazrul University at Asansol
- 4 kids drown in Cox’s Bazar, Bagerhat
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- World needs to care about Rohingyas: Priyanka Chopra
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- The Simple Things That Can Easily Lift Your Mood Up
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule