2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
Published : 20 Mar 2018, 16:44
The students of Victoria College on Tuesday formed a human-chain and brought out a rally in the campus demanding justice for their fellow Sohagi Jahan Tonu who was brutally raped and murdered at Comilla Mainamati Cantonment on March 20, 2016.
Though two years have passed since the murder of Tonu, there has been no significant headway in the investigation into the gruesome killing.
Family members and locals expressed their anger and frustration as the killers are yet to be identified, let alone arresting anyone.
In the human-chain, speakers said they would continue the movement until Tonu gets justice.
The Victoria College authorities arranged milad mehfil and prayers for the peace of the departed soul where all teachers and students participated.
Tonu, a second-year history student of Comilla Victoria College and a member of Victoria College Theatre, was found dead at Comilla Mainamati Cantonment on March 20, 2016 after she went out of her residence for private tuition.
Her murder sparked a huge public outcry and people from home and abroad demanded justice for the college girl.
Doctors at forensic department of Comilla Medical College Hospital conducted two autopsies on her body but their reports did not mention any clear cause of her death.
In May, 2016, CID told media that semen of three men were found in DNA test but the officials concerned denied making any comment over further development.
Meanwhile, investigation officer of the case senior police superintendent of CID Jalal Uddin Ahmed said they will interrogate some others again which will be completed within two or three months. "We're working to identify the killers of Tonu," he said.
- Most viewed
- Sheikh Hasina urges US businesses to share Bangladesh’s prosperity
- PM says Govt wants free, fair, participatory national polls
- PM Hasina joins Trump’s welcome reception
- PM Sheikh Hasina for more private sector investment in education sector
- Prime Minister places 3 proposals to resolve Rohingya crisis
- Settle all international disputes, prevent conflicts: Sheikh Hasina
- 25 September Events
- 25 September Births
- 25 September Deaths
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM urges journalists to use professional scope for people’s welfare
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP