Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
Published : 21 Mar 2018, 18:07
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday said the quota system in government jobs for freedom fighters, their children and grandchildren will continue.
The Prime Minister made the announcement at a time when a section of students and job-seekers are agitating seeking reform of the quota system in government jobs.
“We must have a special system for freedom fighters as we’ve got our independence because of their sacrifice,” she said while addressing a public rally at Patiya Model High School.
Chittagong South Awami League organised the rally at the place where Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman delivered speech in 1969, 1970 and 1973 while Jawaharal Nehru in 1943.
Sheikh Hasina said no one should forget the people of the country got their long-cherished independence for the sacrifice of freedom fighters. “We’ve to give their due honour, we’ve arranged the quota system so that their children and grandchildren could get job.”
She mentioned that if anyone is not found to fill the quota then the system will be relaxed to fill those with other brilliant students.
“If the freedom fighters had not sacrificed for the independence then there would have been no job for the people of this land,” she said.
Held with Chittagong South Awami League president Moslem Uddin Ahmed in the chair, the rally was also addressed by AL general secretary Obaidul Kader, AL presidium member and Housing and Public Works Minister Engineer Mosharraf Hossain, AL Publicity Secretary Dr Hasan Mahmud, MP, State Minister for Land Saifuzzaman Chowdhury, Nurul Alam Chowdhury, Chittagong City Awami League acting president Mahtab Uddin Chowdhury, Local MP Shamshul Huq Chowdhury and Chittagong City Corporation Mayor AJM Nasir Uddin.
Earlier, the Prime Minister inaugurated and laid the foundation stones of 41 development projects.
- Most viewed
- Doob is getting much-deserved acknowledgment: Irrfan Khan
- Mystery around disappearance of Chinese star
- Marta wins Best FIFA Women's Player award
- Sheikh Hasina urges US businesses to share Bangladesh’s prosperity
- PM says Govt wants free, fair, participatory national polls
- PM Hasina joins Trump’s welcome reception
- PM Sheikh Hasina for more private sector investment in education sector
- Prime Minister places 3 proposals to resolve Rohingya crisis
- Settle all international disputes, prevent conflicts: Sheikh Hasina
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM urges journalists to use professional scope for people’s welfare
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP