Bir Protik Kakon Bibi no more
Published : 22 Mar 2018, 11:47
Freedom fighter Bir Protik Kakon Bibi has passed away at MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital on Wednesday night. She was reportedly aged 103.
Kakon Bibi, the Liberation War heroine, breathed her last at 11:05pm, said Brig Gen AKM Mahbubul Haque, director of the hospital.
The body was kept at the hospital, he said, adding that the body will be handed over to her family on Thursday morning.
Earlier on Monday night, she was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital due to serious health complications.
She was suffering from asthma and heart diseases for long time and recently she got an attack of pneumonia, said physician Mosaddek Hossain, a doctor of the hospital.
The freedom fighter was admitted under the observation of medicine expert physician Nazmul Islam, said physician Mosaddek, adding, “Later, she was shifted to the intensive care unit under the observation of physician Shabbhochachi Roy.”
A medical board was formed on Wednesday for her treatment, he added.
In 1971, Kakon Bibi was arrested and brutally tortured by Pakistani army as she worked as a war spy and fought against the Pak army.
She fearlessly took part in some 20 battles actively.
She sustained bullet wounds on her leg at the Ambari fight. Bibi bore the bullet marks on her body unto her death.
Kakon Bibi along with her family was living at Jirargaon of Doarabazar upazila in Sunamganj district.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit