No VAT on pvt universities, PM orders
Published : 10 Apr 2018, 16:30
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina has said no VAT will be imposed on private universities.
Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal briefed the media about the premier’s directives after holding a meeting of the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) today.
Quoting the prime minister, the planning minister, briefing reporters at the planning commission this afternoon, said, there is no need to slap VAT on the private universities now.
Yesterday, Finance minister AMA Muhith told reporters after a pre-budget discussion with newspapers and private television channels that VAT will be imposed on private universities in the next budget.
Muhith said the Value Added Tax (VAT) on private universities will stay but that would be collected from the university owners, not the students.
Back in 2016, students of private universities waged an all-out movement and crippled Dhaka city after the authorities had decided to impose VAT on education. It was later repealed under mass pressure.
- Most viewed
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- How Jacqueline lost Bharat to Katrina
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Aretha Franklin made ‘Respect’ a feminist anthem
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’
- Bangladesh won’t see killers reign again: PM
- Prime minister says Khaleda too involved in 15 Aug coup
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Sloane Stephens reaches Rogers Cup semifinals
- How blue light accelerates blindness
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- India's First Female SWAT Team Starts Work