Rana Plaza was a man-made disaster: Rushanara Ali
Published : 24 Apr 2018, 17:03
Five years after the Rana Plaza disaster, Bangladesh-born British MP Rushanara Ali has described what happened as “not an accident” but “a man-made disaster”.
She was speaking at a panel debate at the Houses of Parliament focused on improvements for women workers in the fashion industry, five years on from Rana Plaza on Monday, reports The Guardian.
The Labour MP directed the majority of her criticism towards fashion brands using factories and buildings such as Rana Plaza.
“Considering the profits these companies are making, they are paying workers a pittance” she said.
“We have to pay more, and brands have to pay more.” Despite “improvements”, workers in Bangladesh are paid less than $68 (£48) a month, less than half their counterparts in Vietnam, she said.
The Labour MP expressed concerns over companies moving work from one country to another that is yet to be under the spotlight. “Boycotting [things] will make matters worse,” she said.
On April 24, 2013, Rana Plaza, an illegally constructed building at Savar housing five garment factories, came down crashing, killing 1,175 people and injuring over 2,000 others.
It is widely considered to be the deadliest unintended structural failure of modern times.
- Most viewed
- Housewife strangulated to death in Satkhira
- Facebook, Twitter to introduce new guidelines for political ads
- PM Hasina receives D.Litt from Nazrul University at Asansol
- 4 kids including girls drown in Cox’s Bazar, Bagerhat [...]
- PM to be conferred with DLitt Degree at Kazi Nazrul University at Asansol
- Hasina-Mamata meeting in Kolkata today
- PM Sheikh Hasina visits Jorasanko Thakur Bari
- Hasina calls for int'l support for ''Rohingya Repatriation''
- 26 May Events
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- World needs to care about Rohingyas: Priyanka Chopra
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- The Simple Things That Can Easily Lift Your Mood Up
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule