Rape accused killed in Feni ‘gunfight’
Published : 16 May 2018, 16:48
A man accused in rape cases was killed in a reported gunfight between his cohorts and police at Khushipur bridge in Dagonbhuiya upazila early Wednesday.
The deceased was identified as Musa Alam Masud, son of Shah Alam of Khushipur village and a fugitive accused of raping a physically challenged girl in Khushipur in 2016.
Masud was also wanted in another case filed for violating a woman on May 6, this year, said Abul Kalam Azad, officer-in-charge of Dagonbhuiya Police Station.
On Tuesday night, police arrested Masud from Nangalkot area of Cumilla, said the OC.
Later, a police team along with Masud conducted a drive in the area to arrest his associate Chottu around 3 am.
Sensing presence of the law enforcers, Masud’s associates opened fire on law enforcers prompting them to retaliate, triggering a gunfight.
At one stage, Masud caught in the line of fire and sustained bullet injuries while the others managed to flee the scene, police said.
Masud was taken to Dagonbhuiya Health Complex where the doctors declared him dead.
Police recovered one pistol and three bullets from the spot.
Masud was wanted in six cases including two rape cases, said OC.
- Most viewed
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- No need to react to marriage rumours
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Omarosa’s White House recordings fuel Trump woes
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women