Habibun Nahar gets AL ticket for Bagerhat-3 by-poll
Published : 22 May 2018, 15:22
Bangladesh Awami League yesterday nominated Habibun Nahar, wife of Mayor-elect of Khulna City Corporation (KCC) Talukdar Abdul Khalek, to contest the Bagerhat-3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-election slated for June 26.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the Awami League Parliamentary Nomination Board (ALPNB) held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, yesterday evening.
AL President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The ALPNB unanimously nominated Habibun Nahar to contest the Bagerhat -3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by its Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
The Bagerhat-3 constituency fell vacant as former MP Talukdar Abdul Khalek tendered his resignation from parliament on April 10 to contest the KCC elections.
The Election Commission (EC) on May 16 announced the schedule for the by-election to Bagerhat-3 constituency fixing June 26 for the voting.
According to the schedule, the deadline for submission of nomination paper is May 24 while the date for scrutinising nomination papers is May 27 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is June 3.
The EC has a constitutional obligation to hold any parliamentary by-polls within 90 days after the constituency concerned falls vacant.
- Most viewed
- Multi-storey buildings to replace city slums: Prime Minister
- 20 August Events
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
- Saudi feminists launch online radio
- Child passive smoking 'risk adult diseases'
- 16 nurses get pregnant at Arizona hospital
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today