Habibun Nahar gets AL ticket for Bagerhat-3 by-poll
Published : 22 May 2018, 15:22
Bangladesh Awami League yesterday nominated Habibun Nahar, wife of Mayor-elect of Khulna City Corporation (KCC) Talukdar Abdul Khalek, to contest the Bagerhat-3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-election slated for June 26.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the Awami League Parliamentary Nomination Board (ALPNB) held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, yesterday evening.
AL President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The ALPNB unanimously nominated Habibun Nahar to contest the Bagerhat -3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by its Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
The Bagerhat-3 constituency fell vacant as former MP Talukdar Abdul Khalek tendered his resignation from parliament on April 10 to contest the KCC elections.
The Election Commission (EC) on May 16 announced the schedule for the by-election to Bagerhat-3 constituency fixing June 26 for the voting.
According to the schedule, the deadline for submission of nomination paper is May 24 while the date for scrutinising nomination papers is May 27 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is June 3.
The EC has a constitutional obligation to hold any parliamentary by-polls within 90 days after the constituency concerned falls vacant.
- Most viewed
- Law coming to ensure death sentence for patrons of drug traders: PM
- 99 lakh jobs by 2020: Prime Minister
- Your kids’ obesity may up knee, hip osteoarthritis risk later
- Beauty rituals to follow during monsoon
- Deepika Padukone trying 9 things she never did before
- ‘Russia’s hottest World Cup fan’ turns out to be porn star
- Hollywood stars reject Trump immigrant policy
- Rohingya girls dream of school
- Prime Minister meets President